Opening machine rolled halves...

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
I slice them with a heavy duty box cutter. Got to watch out for the fingers though.
HH
Rich
I smack'em on corner of my kitchen counter and have trashcan nearby for rollers and Bag for Clad.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I smack em on my side of my computer desk, with a bag for wrappers and reuse the box to put coins in nearby.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I cut a small opening in the ends of the roll and pull them off. Then pull the roll open and slide the roll into my hand. You can usually hear if there is any silver but a quick look will confirm if there is any silver or nice proof coin. I then toss the dregs into a plastic bank deposit bag. I can do a box in about ten minutes. I have good eyesight so this helps with speed. I keep a bottle of hand sanitize around and use it between each box.

Maine_Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
You know using a razor or knife is for me dangerous- it is just a matter of time before you slash self and have to sell alot of your Silver to pay for the stitches and Doctor fees, and bleach to clean up the crime scene.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I just keep my nails long during the time period I do most of my boxes. So I probably cut them twice a month. It's just easier and faster that way to me. But it sucks when they are to short and I catch a paper cut underneath...

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i just grab the little spiky jaged edges that go down the side of the roll in an arrow like shape, & pull it, so the roll tears open revealing and silver edges if any, so i can pluck those & toss the rest.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Go to an office supply store and buy a staple puller. You want the one which looks like a plastic handle, not the one with the hinged jaws. The rounded flat metal slides right under the paper and just rip upwards. No way you could cut yourself. Or go to Goodwill and see if they have a butter knife in their housewares section.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my driveway, I stand about 10 feet from a brick wall and throw them as hard as I can. They explode against the wall and I can hear if there is silver once they start hitting the concrete ground. Works well, but my neighbors think I am crazy...

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soaking them in water for a week will do it but if your in a hurry have the wife do it. :laughing9:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
You know using a razor or knife is for me dangerous- it is just a matter of time before you slash self
I agree with that! :'(
I was opening the clear plastic dime rools with a box cutter paying careful attention to the blade as I held the roll in the palm of my hand. My wife walked in and asked a question, I looked up and the knife slipped and guess what happened? :dontknow: >:(

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
I line them up and then torch them to burn away the paper, just dump some water on them to cool them off and you're good to go, it takes me about 2 minutes to go through a box that way. :laughing7:

Just kidding, I use those eyebrow plucker things (found in the beauty section of Wal*Mart) and unroll the crimp on one side of the roll. With a jerk of the hand they all come out, I then date check them, pull what I want, replace any that I removed, then I reroll them using the same wrapper that they came in. This works for all denominations.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I slice them with a heavy duty box cutter. Got to watch out for the fingers though.
HH
Rich

Ditto.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions