Coin Counters

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
The coinstar (yes registered trademark coinstar) at my Credit Union is right on. I checked it today when dumping over 2 boxes of dimes and 3 boxes of cents. I dumped all of the dimes first, and it read every single one as a dime. The pennies were right on the money too :thumbsup:. So I would assume that it depends on the manufacturer of the coin counter, but mine is dead on.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
rjw4law said:
What is the accuracy of the coin counters at the bank. Sometimes I wonder if I am shorted a few dollars. Please provide, comments, experience or speculation.

I prefer to use coin counters and use them all the time. Some are fast and some are slow. I find them to be accurate with the exception of dimes which are sometimes counted as pennies. So you may take a small loss there.
There is one chain of banks where I won't dump which is TD. The bag only holds 100.00 in halves and there have been a couple of newspaper articles on their machines being inaccurate. This may have been corrected though.
HH
Rich

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I dump at one Credit Union and one major bank and find that the counters at both of these institutions are almost always correct. The Credit Union will only allow me to dump a maximum of $200. per day without charging a fee, so I usually go in almost every day with the max of $200. The bank allows me unlimited dumping. Ocassionally I find that coins that are heavely corroded, bent or damaged may not go through and be counted properly so I try to extract these out before dumping. Whenever the count is off, it's usually less than a $1.00 plus or minus. It's worth it for the convenience of loose dumping. HH

FL Junkman

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
After subtracting my keepers the total has always been perfect down to the penny for me. Wells Fargo, free lobby counter.

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
A month or so back I dumped some dimes at my pickup bank and it came up $32 short. I usually get bags of dimes there and for the next 3 weeks when I would take to my regular dump bag my 2 bag/week were coming in $120-$140 over so I was making that in profit on each bag. It appears that my pick up banks machine may have been acting up and under counting and overfilling bags. they have it fixed apparantly now cause the bags are coming in spot on now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread