TD fights back

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
After hearing so many veterans give up on dimes now i know why.
I have for a while now been getting plenty of good rejects from the TD machines but yesterday a machine took me for almost a hundred in dimes. After i realized what had happened i complained to no avail. I left and came back 20 mins later a littler more forceful but still polite insisting i was shorted. I was offered a 10 dollar credit but still wasnt happy. I wanted to see the penny bag to put my mind at ease in case i was wrong [ rare but possible]. At that point they conceded that there were dimes in the bag. I then offered to buy the penny bag but they said no. They told me that the bag will be counted and my account credited, we shall see. I will adjust how i dump now tho.

Upvote 0

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dumping my dimes there lately and have thought I been short too, but the last 2 times quarters showed up on my receipt also so I can't figure it out because I know I had no quarters.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Not a good idea,to make a big stink at a dump bank about the loss of a couple of bucks.
TD's used to be real happy about selling their bags, until some di*k he*d went in there crying that he was shorted fifty cents.
HH
Rich

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
TheProf said:
I have been dumping my dimes there lately and have thought I been short too, but the last 2 times quarters showed up on my receipt also so I can't figure it out because I know I had no quarters.
That has happened to me about 1/2 time I dump in a machine just halves and it comes up odd amounts including pennies.

Once was shorted by a teller (who doubled checked), after I told her felt was short big time she insisted no but when she closed her drawer she found (her error), the short and called me apologizing profusely, I assured her no big deal & thanked her- guess they can be penalized in house for such large mistakes. Once had a teller run out of Bank literally begging me to return into Bank- I had stopped at my car door to recount what she gave me it did not look right should of been no small bills- as it turned out she over paid me 360 dollars, I went back in and we sorted it out- understand could of left and she would of been stuck with the short as I was outside Bank; this was back in around 1984.

OP
OP
Q

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Rich Hartford said:
Not a good idea,to make a big stink at a dump bank about the loss of a couple of bucks.
TD's used to be real happy about selling their bags, until some di*k he*d went in there crying that he was shorted fifty cents.
HH
Rich
Rich being that you get more flies with honey then vinegar i was very apologetic, i just needed to know if a count could be off by $100 or was i losing my mind. i also really wanted to know since i am still learning how things work and and to make them work better

OP
OP
Q

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
TheProf said:
As i learn how things work --I believe what happened to you was that the last guy had left money in the machine.Probably had dumped so much he didnt realize it. On a good note i recently went to TD poured my money in the machine and it woudlnt start, when they reset the machine and ran it i realized that a decent sum of that money that got tallied wasnt from me, sorta balancing out my bad luck.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
quiksilver said:
Rich Hartford said:
HH
Rich
Rich being that you get more flies with honey then vinegar i was very apologetic, i just needed to know if a count could be off by $100 or was i losing my mind. i also really wanted to know since i am still learning how things work and and to make them work better

Quick,
Every coin machine from various banks that I have used always have been off when doing dimes. I don't lose much maybe 50-60 cents.
TD's coin machines are notorious for being off on all denominations of coins. I read about it in the newspaper.
I've never dumped there because I primarily do halves and their bags only hold $100.00.
HH
Rich

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The worst thing about TD is there is no running total that shows on the screen, so if there is problem you don't find out until the end.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to search dimes, then you need to "test" the machine you are going to use to dump beforehand. LOTS of stories on here about dimes being counted as pennies. I have tested both of my dump banks on small-ish amounts of dimes 2-3 times each and they have been spot on every time.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I dump at a credit union, the coin machine shows you the amount you have put in as you go. I've never had a problem with it, sounds like some of these banks have some pretty bad machines.
Normally I re-roll most of my coins. I know, a lot of you think that it's way too time consuming, but it's really not, it only takes me a few extra minutes. And if you re-roll them, you will NEVER have a coin machine problem. The most I will even dump in a coin machine at a time is only a couple of hundred dollars, and I would know for sure if I got shorted.
I guess it's down to this- Is it worth it to save a little time by dumping in a machine, risking being shorted?? Or take the time to make sure this doesn't happen. Sounds like some of you have been burnt pretty good at these machines. I never have yet, but I'm still cautious as to how much I dump in them.
Either way, good luck with what choice you make

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The part about dimes dumping into a penny bag is different than the machine i use. My dump bank has a bin that all the coins dump into. The coins are identified by height, so i am told, and when the track gets dirty enough it bumps the dimes up to the height of a penny. i was taken for 160 dimes out of $200 before i realized the machine was miscounting because the machine displays a running count i noticed that it was rolling thru the penny count pretty quick and stopped at $200 of 1k that i was dumping only to discover that the machine counted 160 dimes as pennies.

I did bring it to the attention of the bank and i had to wait about 10 days to get a credit of $16 deposited to my account.

The dirt on the track i was told is the culprit.

Now on a typical 1k bag i can expect to lose anywhere from 5 to 15 dimes to the penny column and i wont complain. i also lose money to Canadian coinage and just plain old shortages which typically are from $2 to $7 from the 1k bags i get from my source bank.

My experience with hand rolls is equally discerning as i have gotten rolls packed with Canadian dimes to being short 2 to 4 dimes to an entire roll of pennies in a dime wrapper.

Dimes are Risky.

Mojo

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwb83 said:
Ok at the risk of sounding stupid...WHat does TD stand for ???

Toronto Dominion

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
sorry to dig up an older post but i've been out of the loop for awhile and had to comment on this post as i use TD banks for my dumps.
Rich...i have been using TD since they took over Commerce and they have NEVER sold a bag off thier machines. i'm talking about every TD bank in Philly. matter of fact i haven't found a single bank here in SE Pa. that will sell bags. don't know if its a Pa. thing or what.
as far as the dime thing goes....thats always been a problem with them. sometimes i get an accurate count and other times some of the dimes are counted as pennies.i don't say anything as it is usually only a dollar or so.
as for the quarters and other coins showing up when you did not dump any of that denomination, this usually happens when the person before you did not shake the tray after they were through. coins get hung up and are not counted. then you put your coins in and pushed these stuck coins through. this can be fixed if everyone would just shake the sorting tray before the machine stops counting. to prove this ...next time shake the tray before you pour in your dumps and you can here the stuck coins fall into the hopper. the best way to avoid having your coins stuck is to remove the tray and dump directly into the hopper. some banks may not want you to do that but it is way faster and coins don't get stuck.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Mistergee,
I've never directly got the bags off of the machine,the teller would get me the bags from the vault. Only got one bag of halves, they never sold them to me again. Dimes I used to get on a weekly basis but have not been up there this year,as this TD is a haul,and I'd stop there while passing by on road trips.
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions