Check your 1982 and 1983 halves

D

DigginDiva

I just foud out if they are missing the designers initials, they are worth a bit more. This site only shows 1982 but another one I saw says 1983. I also saw price ranges of $3-$5 for those without initials.

The 1982 Kennedy half dollar without the designer's initials.
In designing the reverse of the Kennedy half dollar, engraver Frank Gasparro placed his initials FG to the right of the eagle's tail feathers. The letters are small and inconspicuous, and hardly anyone noticed them--that is, until 1982, when sharp-eyed hobbyists noticed that on some '82 Kennedy halves, the initials were not just inconspicuous but conspicuous by their absence.

Apparently, overzealous die-polishing had removed the initials from one or more dies--and that, in turn, had resulted in their absence on coins produced from those dies. Once the omission was noticed on '82 half dollars, collectors began checking earlier coins as well, and soon discovered other Kennedy halves without these letters.

These coins are not considered major rarities. The '82 half dollar without the FG--the coin that started it all--is worth just a few dollars more than an '82 Kennedy half on which the initials appear. Nonetheless, they're interesting and they do have premium value. And those are two good reasons for seeking them out.

Upvote 0

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
Don't forget the 1990s!!!! There are some that are also missing the initials "FG"!

I always check these as well as the 74-D DD.

That is why I am always amazed at how fast some people can get through several hundred dollars of halves!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread