Help with possible dime error (update with pics)

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some pics up. Hope you can see what I "think" I see. Color is really silver, but had to color it a bit.

Original Message:
I have never posted anything like this before, so here goes. I will try to get our techno guy at work to help me get a pic tomorrow so you guys can see.

I was searching dimes, and found a 1977 that has around the obverse edge on the date side what looks like the word "united" upside down with a faded "states." It is highly visiable. At first glance, I thought it was just scratch marks, but it is as plain as day. It is if the coin was put on the die on the wrong side, someone discovered it, then turned it to the correct side and stamped the correct face. Could this be a keeper, or a common everyday error?

apush :read2:

Attachments

• DIME1.jpg
    DIME1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DIme2.jpg
    DIme2.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 473
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Help with possible dime error

probably not an every day error. sounds like we need a pic. I found a dime error the other day too, I need to post a pic for.
the one I found looks like some kind of grease of die error, the coin is much darker, it looks like it is slightly smaller in diameter, along the rim of the coin there are a bunch of ridges and extra blobs of metal. On the outside rim of the coin, there are no ridges, it is completely flat, and the coin has no wear on it. Strangest dime I think I've ever seen.

Lets hope we both have some error coins.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

i'd like to see a pic of that. the only thing that i can think of is maybe it was a weak planchet that was struck by the die and the upside down image you describe was transferred to the coin. :dontknow: :dontknow:just a guess :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have to see a pic also. Planchets don't get put in "backwards". That's not how it works. Both sides are struck at the same time. Possibly a vise job? Or could be a die clash. Get the pic up and we'll figure it out.
HH
Gilbert

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Sounds like a die clash error. The reverse image transfers to the obverse but is backwards. If so and you can see it pretty clearly, it's a very nice find.

If you want to sell it, let me know.

JasonB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions