Quality vs. Quantity

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
I guess I'd rather get quality halves from the bank than large quantities of clad ones!!

I stopped at a bank yesterday afternoon after attending a meeting for work in a different town. The teller at the drive-in window told my teller that she had one roll of halves. Then she found 2 loose ones.

So, I hand over $11 and she hands me the roll and then hands me the two loose ones and I immediately see that one of the loose halves is a 1967 40% silver. I'm happy as a clam and feel that the whole stop and interaction was worthwhile just for that one 1967!!

So, I get home and show the wife and she is very happy about it too. I head down to the basement (where I keep all my coin stuff) and proceed to open the roll. I see the first halve in the roll is another 1967 - I can't believe it. I dump the contents and look at the sides of the coins - more than half of them halves look silver!!!

So here is what was in the roll:

1976 - 1
1971 - 1
1966 - 5
1967 - 10
1968D - 2
1969D - 1

Can you believe there were only two clad coins in that roll - so out of 22 halves - There were 3 clad coins and the other 19 were 40% silver.

What a great day!!! I wish this was one of those banks that had more rolls than I had money on me, because I would be back there tomorrow with cash!!!!

Tom

Upvote 0

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
You just never know! I used to pass up the loose halves offered to me thinking they would have been searched...There has been a few posts about people doing well from the loose halves...Now I take everything!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congratulations, it just blows me away when I get a roll that is all or almost all silver. ;D Yep, take ever half offered to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions