1959 D Wheat Penny up for auction

burge

Jul 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the pics and it is very hard to see its 1959 but I have looked with a magnifying glass and also compared it to other 1959 memorial cents, it is a 1959 D Wheat
View attachment 907226 View attachment 907228

I have one of these in really good shape I emailed Goldmans I am finding out there may only be a couple of these coins out there I said the starting bid to be 500,000 US

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but what we have here is a case of wishful seeing. Two weeks into crhing and an extremely mangled coin is believed to be one of the rarest coins on the planet? A coin of that magnitude not only wouldn't be in circulation, but it wouldn't be a mangled mess! Welcome to the forum, but I'm sorry, it isn't possible. Pure common sense says otherwise.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I feel stupid for not checking the date of all of the posts. Let's see a pic of this newest coin.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Im starting to wonder if its a "5"....because I have been looking at this coin the last half hour..lol...and the only numbers that look right would be "59"..But then compared to the other "9"...its way off

I think this coin has so much damage, its gonna be hard to tell what it is....I do see where a 59 would be the only one that makes sense....but they seem larger than the rest of the date

It's a 1953. Very obvious when you put one of them next to it... the curve in the bottom of the 3 is just like the coin.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, but what we have here is a case of wishful seeing. Two weeks into crhing and an extremely mangled coin is believed to be one of the rarest coins on the planet? A coin of that magnitude not only wouldn't be in circulation, but it wouldn't be a mangled mess! Welcome to the forum, but I'm sorry, it isn't possible. Pure common sense says otherwise.

Don't forget someone did find a 1969-S Doubled Die cent not too long ago in a batch of Loomis rolled cents... That coin fetched $20K if memory serves me right.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no comparison between the two. The 69 was a doubled die, major at that. A 59 mule is a one of a kind coin. I would even bet the house it was intentionally done.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is ruined..no way to ever tell what year it was. Most likely a 53 that someone was trying to turn into a 59. Either way not a once an a lifetime find.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no comparison between the two. The 69 was a doubled die, major at that. A 59 mule is a one of a kind coin. I would even bet the house it was intentionally done.

I was referring specifically to your phrase "A coin of that magnitude...wouldn't be in circulation"... I was just pointing out a coin of magnitude was found in circulation a few years ago. Nothing more, nothing less.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm saying is you have an extremely higher chance of finding the 1969 than finding a 1959 wheatie. There is only one of those known.

EzraBK

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So after 3 years this post still has people arguing over it, wow... Well I never did take the coin anywhere to be checked, but I have taken high res photos of it and digitally put a transparent 1959 coin over the photo. To say it looked similar would be an understatement, I do still believe this is the real deal, but yes, you all are right to say the likelihood of finding one of these is almost nothing. I would love to have this coin checked out at some point in time, but until then, feel free to continue doubting its authenticity.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Lord, it's been a year... let it go.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, no ones said anything about the coin in over a year! You brought it back up.
After reading back over the post I did want to correct something. The 69 doubled die was found in a circulation roll, but it probably came out of a solid roll of 1969 S coins.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 3 years this post still has people arguing over it, wow... Well I never did take the coin anywhere to be checked, but I have taken high res photos of it and digitally put a transparent 1959 coin over the photo. To say it looked similar would be an understatement, I do still believe this is the real deal, but yes, you all are right to say the likelihood of finding one of these is almost nothing. I would love to have this coin checked out at some point in time, but until then, feel free to continue doubting its authenticity.

Just the fact that you never took it anywhere to be checked out is all the information I needed to hear. If you thought it was real you would have taken it right to a coin dealer. Its like finding ten 1909 S VDB's and not taking them anywhere to be checked out and just taking pictures and throwing them in a drawer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions