Teller has 168 Mercury Dimes.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Teller has 168 Mercury Dimes.

Well I got a call from one of my dump bank tellers and was told that some one brought in a ton of silver dimes and a few Halves.

So an hour later i show up ready to buy. They all know me and ask coin questions all the time. This particular teller is one i flirt with all the time.

She compleatly dissed me. She just wanted to know how much she could get for them or what they were worth. I told her I would pay her 8 x face for all the 90%'s and $1.25 for the 40%'s

She had 168 Merc's the machine rejected them and he took them up to the teller and she said they are worth more than a dime ea. and the halves as well. He said he diden't care and was trying to settle an estate with his brother. the mercs were all well worn but the JFK's were in nice shape with about 3 or 4 worn walkers mixed in.

I seperated the 40's from the 90's and explained that some dealers will try and lowball you and offer 1/2 of what you should get and i told her that she could get up to 10x face for the 90's at some of the better sources.

She said she would call me after shopping them around.???? wa wa wahhhh. Rejected.

There were about $10 in 90's and $10 in 40's and $16.80 in merc's. So i'm basically offering her $240 sight unseen for $37 worth of junk silver that falls into her lap at work and after all these years she don't trust me? sigh? well if she calls me back great if not oh well :dontknow:

I really would have liked an oppertunity to search those merc's. and who knows I still might. I don't believe that even if I had offerd her 10x face for those coins she would have sold them to me. And I couldent risk taking a loss on them. I explained to the guy teller my position and the current volitility of the market and asked him to work on her a little. He said if they had came to his window i'd be walking out with them right now. (he has sold me coins before) I also believe that she might have a hard time finding a better offer.

Wish me luck.

Mojo

Upvote 0

lookin4coins

Feb 27, 2010
Re: Teller has 168 Mercury Dimes.

Bummer!! :'(

I was hoping, as I was reading, that you were going to get them at face value. Although she, apparently, has worked with you in the past... looks like a great big handful of Mercs caught her eye and interest. Sucks!

Wish you the best of luck on getting them at 8x.... that's still a good find. Luck of the draw... too bad the depositor didn't go to the other teller.

Sounds like you have some great eyes and relationships out there for you... that's an ace in your pocket for sure.

Good luck!

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sounds like a racket to me...

Almost sounds unethical that a teller can save these things just to resell like that...even though thats what most people do. But when its your job to handle money it just seems like a conflict of interest to try and make a dime like that.

I would also consider trading banks now...she has obviously got the bug and knows she can make some extra cash so she is guaranteed to be looking out for them from now on.

Regardless...good luck with the coins. I'm sure she will come around...money talks right?

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Mojo;
You showed a lot of "class" with that teller. She should have taken your offer. Now she has to shop all around and waste her time and gas money. Bet she calls you back.
Best of luck with it.
rileyboy

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

I offer 10 x face, they never call me back, they probably give to the kids or grandkids. ffd

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

She might very well call you back on this one. You offered AT LEAST double what the coin shop in my town would offer. You really can't blame her for keeping them and shopping them around. I'll bet she has absolutely no idea of the value of silver coins. If something valuable landed in my lap, but I had no idea of its true value, I would shop around to get the best deal I could. Good luck! I hope you get 'em!

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

She may get a better price somewhere, but they won't point out to her, that she might have a few key or semi key dates. Should of offered to match any reasonable offer she got, just for the chance to find some of greater value. JMO. Call her!!!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

that was very rude of that teller to lead u on like that! >:( for that u should turn her in cuz i dont think they r allowed to buy coins fromthe bank while working, turn right around and sell them for a profit!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

future silver blocker >:( oh well hope you did not "school" her about silver .( do not get them thinking about the value of the coins their passing on to you -- because if they do stop and think --their lil greed bug go to work --why give him the silver to make cash from when i can get it?) ---

i just tell tellers that i'm a coin collecter -- i never say anything about "silver" value or about "flipping" silver gotten at face for "profiet" -- i do give a lil gift of some type if they hook me up on a nice score , as a thank you -- one bank i know of has a batch of older gray haired tellers that work there -- NO SILVER EVER GETS BY THEM. ( the silver haired silver mafia) totally silver blocked there -

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

Well I finally caught up with this teller today and asked her if she decided what she wanted to do.

She said yes, and that she sold most of them for $1.20 ea. she needed the money to visit family in Albania.

She said she suddenly couldent find my phone #. But I helped her get a better price by educating her on what they were worth.

I asked her to keep me in mind when she is ready to unload the rest......... Wa Wa Waaaa. :dontknow:

Mojo

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Mojo

Sad end to the story but, at least you were in the game and had a chance to get some silver. Maybe she will bring you back some Albanian currency to trade in the future!

Cheers!

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

that stinks Mojo....sometimes educating those tellers can backfire on you. i hate when a good deed comes back to bite you in the butt.....and shame on her for not waiting till she saw you since she "forgot" your number especially since if it wasn't for you she woulda never known what she had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread