ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily my last 2 boxes did not come in. I spoke briefly to the manager at my tiny little hometown bank and told her my situation and cancelled my standing order. The girls there have always been as supportive of my hobby as they can be for such a tiny bank. She offered to let me search any/every box of coin they have on hand, re-roll, and bring them back and swap for more. I thought that was VERY nice. They're so small, it isn't really worth it (their whole inventory of cents is 3 boxes ;D ), but should I ever need a CRH fix I do have a tiny outlet, and its walking distance from my house. As I'm walking out the door, the only teller tells me she has $6 in loose halves if I want them. I know she wants to get rid of them, and they've been very nice to me so I decided to take them off their hands. As I'm getting the $6 out of my wallet, she says, "a couple of them are silver." Indeed they were. 2 '63 Bens. :hello2: I have no doubt that is more silver than I would have gotten in the 2 boxes that didn't come in.

I also went to speak with the manager of the dump bank that cut me off. She said she got a call from "the main office" inquiring about the HUGE increase in coin they were taking in. I guess my $500-$1000 a week is a HUGE number to a bank that has assets into the millions. :laughing7: She was very apologetic and stated several times that it wasn't her decision. I believe her. They were always very friendly to me. I asked if I was just cut off from bringing in halves or all coin altogether. She said I could bring in coin OCCASIONALLY, but not the volume that I was bringing in. We didn't discuss an exact number, but I got the feeling that even $100 a month in ANY denomination of coin would be pushing it.

That leaves me with 1 dump bank (and $2K in halves to dump). Looks like my CRHing is over, other than the occasional box of something other than halves from my local bank.

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the local gas station should start expecting to be paid in halves for awhile...

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
because i was cut off at my dump my new goal is the make the 50 cent pice the most common coin in circulation in Idaho.
As soon as I pull into my favorite gas station, before I open my door I can hear them groan inside. I will take it easy on them, but i will spend, spend, spend.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
No doubt, it is a pain in the behind to be cut off at your dump bank.....BUT as Papa said, use them to buy EVERYTHING...groceries, fuel, eating out, and all else....Just more difficult to maintain the bank roll......but not impossible.......HH Gayle

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
rsc said:
No doubt, it is a pain in the behind to be cut off at your dump bank.....BUT as Papa said, use them to buy EVERYTHING...groceries, fuel, eating out, and all else....Just more difficult to maintain the bank roll......but not impossible.......HH Gayle
Man that'd be real hard for me, got at least years supply of groceries in pantry and generally got everything need, don't need to buy nuthin on regular basis that would put a meaningful dent in the supply's of clad have to dump, only regular bills got are Utilities which do use the clad for them of course.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Go figure - One dump bank said I couldn't drop my usual $250 a week anymore. I asked what the problem was and it was "space". So now, instead of them sitting on dozens of rolls for up to a month then shipping, I drop off $1000 bagged the morning of pick up (EVERY WEEK), and they are just fine with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread