mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible it could be a magician's coin but I never saw one made out of a 64 before. Does it sound hollow?

OP
OP
skelly9131

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
Possible it could be a magician's coin but I never saw one made out of a 64 before. Does it sound hollow?
It's definitely not hollow. I don't have a proper scale to weigh it, but I would guess it weighs as much as a non-silver half. It's also a dark greyish color, has a crude rim and some flaws on both sides.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the ones I have come across are machined out on one side carefully keeping the reeded edge intact, while another coin is thinned and slightly reduced in diameter to remove the reeded edge. The smaller and thinner half is then placed in the hollowed out half coin.

Look with a good magnifier and light source, where the lower field on one side of the coin, meets up to the reeded edge. They can be force fit or glued together.

Sometimes done as a novelty to sell, to fool people on a coin toss, or a machinist apprentice fooling around. I have also heard of them being sawed in half and glued together, but the sawed ones are easier to detect.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm....

Attachments

• Useless.jpg
    Useless.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 536

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
mountainman 2 said:
Yeah that'd be my thought on it, a trick coin; you know heads I win "tail's" you loooose!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
AGC is correct. Picture please.

It is most likely a trick coin it may not sound hollow but it will sound different.

Mojo

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
skelly9131 said:
I'll try and get some pic's posted tonight.

Smack it against the floor really hard. (NOt the carpet!) If it is a magician's coin, as I suspect, it should pop apart on impact.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
skelly9131 said:
I'll try and get some pic's posted tonight.

Smack it against the floor really hard. (NOt the carpet!) If it is a magician's coin, as I suspect, it should pop apart on impact.

Don't do this as it will surley ruin it.

If it can come apart shaking it in a thick jar will cause it to open. But a two headed coin is probably glued togeather are weren't ment to come apart. That is why, I suspect that it dosen't sound hollow like a trick coin.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I have one but mine is definately silver- weight is heavy cause the obverse has more protusion than the reverse. Nice for coin tosses. HH Mark

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I never found one that had kennedy on both sides. I did however find one that was larger than normal and failed the silver tests. I assumed it was couterfeit but kept it anyway.

golden silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread