$1000 in Halves... what I found so far...

Jomama

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yesterday afternoon (after advice from people on this forum) I ordered a copy of Whitman’s Red Book [$12.49 (includes shipping)]. And made a print out of the information I found on this site regarding CRHing.

I went to my bank and asked if they had any halves… low and behold they had a $1000 bag getting ready to goto the Federal Reserve later that day. I took the whole bag.

Last night I made it through about 2/3 of them and did not find ANY silver (not even 40%ers). But, I did find about 2 rolls of 1974-D and a couple missing the initials on the back. I took all the bicentennials and put them in their own stack… I did not examine them further… I have about 6 rolls so far.

Not looking too promising… I think maybe I got someone else’s CRHing return. I’m sure this has happened to everyone on this forum several times.

The previous day I was at another branch and took all their halves… they only had 2 rolls that yielded 4 - 40%ers. This obviously got me excited and I was really looking forward to going through the 2000 piece bag last night.

Most of the 1974-D’s I found did not appear to be a double die in the “trust”… I thought some were borderline as they were banged up. Are all 1974-D’s double die?

This is what I have been looking for:

Anything Pre-1971’s

Anything with an “S” mint mark

Anything without the engravers initials

1974-D

1987 P/D

Anything Non-Kennedy

Anything 2002 to Date

Also, is there anything special about the bicentennials? I’m assuming that some of these also have the “S” mint and are worth keeping… anything else?

What else am I missing?

In a previous post someone stated, “Welcome to our addiction”… boy, were you right!

I use an ACE 250 but, when it’s raining or dark outside, I know I will be CRHing from now on!

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I wouldn't save the Bicentenials as they minted millions and millions of them. They are a dime a dozen and not worth anything. You are only wasting your money unless you are a collector and need a few for your collection. In half dollars you are looking for 90% silver 1964 and older. And...40% silver Kennedy's from 1965 - 1970. The 1974-D double die is on the obverse in the word "Trust". Usually it's the U or the S or both. Many 1974-D coins are all beat up by now so many look like they are double dies but are not. You will look through tons of them and if you are lucky you may find one. They are not common. Sometimes you will come across an "S" mint proof that someone may have spent. Once it's in circulation it's just a "former proof" as it gets all scratched, but it is an "S" mint to fill a slot in your collection. Most of the "S" mints you will find in rolls are clad, but some may be silver. Use your book to tell you. Just my opinions for you. Good luck
rileyboy

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
rileyboy pretty well covered it. There are some commemorative issues out there, and older foreign coins could contain silver as well.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i would save the bic. either, eay too many, and a lot of ur budget being taken up. the others covered the rest u need 2 know, good luck!

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Regarding the 74-D Double Die Obverses:

In the roughly 5 years (not a lot I know) since I've been CRH'ing I have been lucky enough to pull two 74-D DDO's. I was also lucky enough to locate one in a 1974 Mint Set at a coin show. I posted that find on CONECA's website. Same username if anyone wants to look over there.

The doubling is strong enough on every letter of TRUST that you can't mistake it. There is also significant doubling on the 4 and on the TY of LIBERTY.

The doubling on the diagonal leg of the R in TRUST is very noticable.

There are also DDO's for 71-D, 72, and 73-D with similar doubling to TRUST but they are not as dramatic.

Good Hunting.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrbelvetron said:
Regarding the 74-D Double Die Obverses:

In the roughly 5 years (not a lot I know) since I've been CRH'ing I have been lucky enough to pull two 74-D DDO's. I was also lucky enough to locate one in a 1974 Mint Set at a coin show. I posted that find on CONECA's website. Same username if anyone wants to look over there.

The doubling is strong enough on every letter of TRUST that you can't mistake it. There is also significant doubling on the 4 and on the TY of LIBERTY.

The doubling on the diagonal leg of the R in TRUST is very noticable.

There are also DDO's for 71-D, 72, and 73-D with similar doubling to TRUST but they are not as dramatic.

Good Hunting.

Also I have also found a couple of 77-D double die.

Here is a site with a couple photos of some of the DD's that were listed.

http://www.numismedia.com/coinguys/top50kenn.shtml

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Note: If you are hunting for errors, don't waste your time looking at every single coin. Finding an error on an otherwise beat-up, well-circulated coin, amounts to very little in collector value. If you are going to spend the time error hunting, then focus on the higher grade coins as these will be the ones to carry a premium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread