Todays finds

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Today's finds

I picked up about $350 in halves today and got 9 40 percenters out of it- here's the totals

1-1966
4-1967
3-1968-D
1- 1969-D

And have you ever noticed how new and shiny the 2001-D's are? I got a feeling the fed has been holding some for a while, and releasing them every so often. I went to my regular "stash bank" that I know always has halves when everybody else is out and out of $150 worth, I got them all in 15 MS rolls of 2001-D.

Not a good sign. Either the vault teller is trying to tell me something (she knows I collect and search) or the fed is releasing more 2001-D's into circulation... :( Bummer. I hope this doesn't mean they are holding the circulated coins trying to get back all the silver they can and releasing what they have on hand.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's finds

Congrats on the silver halves.

Yeah, I sure do hope they aren't holding back and collecting silver right now. That would be a shame for all of us.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

I could be totally wrong, but didn't I read some post on here that like, from 1998 on, they stopped putting halves into circulation? I dunno...

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Come to think of it, I haven't seen many,if any, 2002-2005. But I do see 2001-d's alot. I can spot them in a roll just like the silvers, their edges are new and shiny. Now I got 15 rolls of the suckers to get rid of!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've encountered a lot of new 2001-D's recently and you're right Jeffro the edges are deceivingly silver-looking. My $100 today had a lot of 2000-P's that looked like this but not a silver in the bunch.

$100 in quarters at least produced my first Nevada and a 2000 Canadian.

$40 in nickels turned out -

1948S (keeper!)
1952S
1957D (3)
1958D (2)

1983 Canadian

Yes, all 2002-2006 halves are only released in mint sets, none for circulation just like 1987 and 1970. Any found are from broken-open sets.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Well, I didn't mean silver looking edges, but thats OK.... heheheheh! They just stand out as bad as silver cause the edges have very little wear, all bright and shiny copper clad.

Nice finds in the nickels, Immy.... been awhile since I've done any.... gonna have to get back to the bank, you got my nickel urge going! :D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeffro said:
Nice finds in the nickels, Immy.... been awhile since I've done any.... gonna have to get back to the bank, you got my nickel urge going! :D

Well good luck and I hope you find some goodies. The way things are going you're apt to find a buffalo or two!

I should clarify the 2002-2006 half availability. They're not only released in mint sets but also in rolls to collectors and dealers. So it's very possible these end up in circulation. I've only ever found a 2002-D in over a year of searching but I think it was pennywise who found a 2004 & 2005 recently. Finding these would be just as cool as silver.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Heheheh... I suppose you could call it that. ;) I just thought it was funny to get 15 rolls of 5 year old mint state halves. Especially from the only bank in town that ever orders them. They only order 1000 bucks or so per month, and only have one other customer who comes in for them. Kinda wacky....

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It shows how little-used they are too. If five-year-old halves are just now getting distributed there can't be that much demand.

Just for something different I tried $100 in quarters today since I still need a "P" Nevada. No silver, no Nevada. Oh well.

It's funny how we're seven years and billions of coins into the state quarter program and it's still rare to find a roll with more than 15 state quarters. I can count on one hand how often a roll has produced 20 or more. I know there's billions more regular quarters but I thought they'd show up more often. The most I've found in a roll is 24.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Immy said:
Jeffro said:

Well good luck and I hope you find some goodies. The way things are going you're apt to find a buffalo or two!

I should clarify the 2002-2006 half availability. They're not only released in mint sets but also in rolls to collectors and dealers. So it's very possible these end up in circulation. I've only ever found a 2002-D in over a year of searching but I think it was pennywise who found a 2004 & 2005 recently. Finding these would be just as cool as silver.

I wish I would have known the 2002-2006 info when I first started out. I used to get the new ones all the time and just thought of them as nothing! Oh well.... too late now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread