a new self serv coin machine that dont need bags changed ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i had used only one self serv coin machine nearby.

always had to wait for the attendent to change bags.

usually take 2 to 3 k in halves.

now i try this new machine. i will try to look at the name.

next time. it took over 2k in halves and 1500 in dimes

without having the bag changed. i asked the teller

and she said it all goes into a big box.? any one know

about these.?

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
It is a coin star brand counter for banks. Wait till they have to change the bin for ya- hope you got some small coin to run first cause them halves sound like firecrackers going off when they hit that empty bin but it only lasts a couple mins. HH Mark

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Are cu use them they have a big bin in them and they roll them out and roll a new one in . Ron

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrounger said:
i had used only one self serv coin machine nearby.

always had to wait for the attendent to change bags.

usually take 2 to 3 k in halves.

now i try this new machine. i will try to look at the name.

next time. it took over 2k in halves and 1500 in dimes

without having the bag changed. i asked the teller

and she said it all goes into a big box.? any one know

about these.?

Those sound like the ones I use. I think they are made by Cummins, Siemens, or some name like that.

If I remember right from a volume standpoint, they hold approximately $450-$500 in pennies (45,000 - 50,000 pennies). You know you have a lot to dump when they need to change the bin twice such that you start with an empty bin and fill it yourself... :) I also always feel guilty when the bin fills up and I have to help the clerk figure out how to clear it. There is one key sequence that is not obvious that they frequently get stuck at.

From what I have seen, they typically hold around $3000 to $5500 when full using the normal distribuation of denominations. And from what I can tell, they seem to count around 30 pennies or 30 dimes per second...other denominations at slightly slower speeds (guessing due to size).

I have seen a couple of other styles of self serve machines as well, but haven't used those ones.

I have found them usually quite accurate with the exception that once in awhile a penny will count as a dime and vice versa. If I have dimes to cash in, I always cash them in first so I can see if it is counting any as pennies as I have had a couple times where it miscounted by 40+ dimes for pennies. A high miscount usually means the machine needs to be cleaned and recalibrated, so I inform the bank of it and so far I have always also gotten back the miscount amount. I won't complain about a coin or three as those balance out with pennies count as dimes. Dimes always seem to be the first one to get out of calibration. So if dimes are good, everything usually seems good.

I do have one machine that I won't use to cash in halves or nickels at because it rejects a high number of valid ones which is a pain. Oddly, pennies, dimes, or quarters count fine.

Not sure if any of that was useful, but hopefully it was.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I have the same type of machine at my dump bank. The bin holds a little over $4000 in mixed denominations. But they are a lot slower than the bagging machines I have experienced. It takes me about 15 minutes to run 2k in Halves through. or around $125 a minute. The beauty of these machines is that they reject silver. I buy 1 k bags of Dimes off of another machine and take it to my dump bank and run it through and simply collect my silver from the reject tray. So it only takes me approx. 10 minutes to search a 1k bag of dimes.

As G Man stated above though this machine has a history of counting Dimes as penny's on occasion. I have experienced a loss of a dozen dimes to penny's without complaining but one time I was running my Dimes through and noticed the Penny count was rolling and stopped at $200 and printed the ticket to find it had counted $1.68 in Penny's. I brought it too the attention of the bank and was reimbursed the $16.80 a week later after they audited the bin.

The explanation for this is that the coins roll down a rail and are counted based on the size / height of the coin standing on end. Penny's are slightly bigger and if the rail has dirt on it it makes dimes taller and therefor would look like a penny to the machine. The rail needs to be cleaned as a result.

It is not a Coin Star machine.

There are lots of different machines out there.

Mojo

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The bin machines I use hold about $9000 and can fly through 1k in halves in a couple minutes. I always listen to make sure the bin is not full cause its a huge pain when it fills and backs up the to the counting table. The machine has no sensor to stop it when it is full. I've developed an ear for knowing when to stop if I hear filling up, cause once the machine jams from an overfill, they won't want to see you again for quite awhile.

Joad

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ive never seen these machines b4...but do u guys' machines (one that bag em) usually reject a lot of coins 4 no reason, or is it a very rare occasion that it might, cuz mine NEVER do, i wonder if mine dont reject them, but toss em in the reject bucket inside?!?!?! thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread