apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a really nice bank teller on Sunday. She collects silver. At least she told me right up front. She was happy to order me a box or two whenever I wanted. That was nice. Then she asked me if I had an account--which I do, but she said, "no matter."

I am not sure if she keeps or sells her silver. I will see her Friday to pick up my boxes.

If I were to offer to buy her halves, what would be a good price for her to keep her loyalty, but fair for me as well?

Advice welcome,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40%ers vs. 90%ers?

apush

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
90%ers. Most (if not all) coin dealers buy 90%ers whereas I have trouble finding dealers in my area that buy 40%ers. If they do, the usually offer me $1.25 per :dontknow:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Unless the teller brings up this subject first, I would not discuss it.

You might wind up "educating" a teller about silver coins who now is clueless. If you are going to discuss coins with the teller, I would instead ask her to hold any halves for you that come in, etc.

From all the posts I have read on here about buying coins from tellers, it seems that the majority of attempts are not successful.

There are exceptions of course, especially Rich H who has a mentioned how he tempts them with old but low value coins in exchange for valuable silver.

If a person really wants to buy silver from the masses, they would probably do better going after the general population than bank employees in general, ie, Craigslist, etc.

Jim

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for everyone's advice. I do appreciate it!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Apush,

When I used to do road trips I'd always carry a few old cheap coins with me. Indian Heads, V nickels, maybe some cheap commemorative halves, Like Columbus and Carver. When I ran into a teller who kept the silver I'd offer a trade. I always made out real good.
HH
Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
Apush,

When I used to do road trips I'd always carry a few old cheap coins with me. Indian Heads, V nickels, maybe some cheap commemorative halves, Like Columbus and Carver. When I ran into a teller who kept the silver I'd offer a trade. I always made out real good.
HH
Rich

You left out the part about the "professor" outfit, such as the jacket, pipe, etc. ;D

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
jim4silver said:
Rich Hartford said:
Apush,

HH
Rich

You left out the part about the "professor" outfit, such as the jacket, pipe, etc. ;D

Jim
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I can't believe I pulled stuff like that,but then again I can. I haven't been to that bank in a while. I think there is a 50/50 shot of convincing that teller to let me cherry pick the bag :laughing7:
HH
Rich

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Two years ago a teller my wife works with volunteered that she had a roll of silver halves, and inquired on the value of said halves. I offered 10X for the roll, she quickly snapped up the $100.
My wife told me that the teller would have taken $50 for the roll of Bens and Walkers, but I was happy to find later that the roll contained a key date '38D Walking. ffd

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Rakattack said:
90%ers. Most (if not all) coin dealers buy 90%ers whereas I have trouble finding dealers in my area that buy 40%ers. If they do, the usually offer me $1.25 per :dontknow:

Dang where are you located , i will happily pay $1.50 ea 40% half.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
"When I used to do road trips I'd always carry a few old cheap coins with me. Indian Heads, V nickels, maybe some cheap commemorative halves, Like Columbus and Carver. When I ran into a teller who kept the silver I'd offer a trade. I always made out real good."

Rich, only a guy with your types of diverse finds would include in "Cheap halves" Columbus and Carver. Three years and still looking for one silver commem. I know you have pulled quite a few though.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Mr. Hartford, Jim4Silver let it loose!

A professor with a jacket and pipe??? :laughing7: That must have been a "polaroid moment."

That would have been a post to remember!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions