The competition has surfaced!.............this is kind of funny

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I don't do much roll hunting here in my home town because I usually get back into town after the banks are closed. But the past week or so, I have been working here in town, so I have been hitting the banks here. I noticed right away that there has been a fellow searcher working the Bank of America branch here in town. I have also noticed that rolls that I deposit in my account at Wells Fargo are surfacing at Bank of America (not sure how that happens???) . Today I received some rolls from Bank of America that I had already searched and deposited at Wells Fargo. These rolls had sense been searched by the other guy after I had deposited them. Bank of America obviously makes him put his name, address, and phone number on the rolls........so now I know who he is. Now this is no big deal, it doesn't bother me that others do this besides me. Now here is the funny part...........I was opening these rolls because my other bank (Banner Bank) doesn't want them rolled because they dump them into the machine, and out of one rolls pops a little note that says "Stop searching halves at this bank!".................I thought I was seeing things! This irritated me a little at first, but then I thought it was pretty funny. Then I decided to write him a note back, and here is what I did.........

I bought a can of silver spray paint, and painted up $100 worth of halves, and put a little note in one that says......"I figured because you are searching "already searched" rolls, that I would send some silver ones your way........have a good day"

I deposited these into the Wells Fargo bank that accepts full rolls without any of my info on the rolls. I did that because the rolls seem to be working their way into Bank of America's vault.

Boy, some people just want all the fun to themselves!

Paul

Upvote 0

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
That is funny! I figured out early on that I would maintain a dump bank and get all my rolls elsewhere...If you come across rolls marks MSH your out of luck cause I was there first! ;D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hilarious!

On the other hand, maybe this was a note from a grouchy teller who's tired of shlepping rolls from the vault! You could actually find out who it is by including a note directing him to this site. Maybe we should all do that to get more forum posters!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Too funny! I had something similar happen to me this last week. As I was calling around, one of the vault tellers said "Say, didn't I just tell you a little while ago that we didn't have any?" And the same thing again a few minutes later, as I was working my way down the list.....

So I figured I'd get a jump on the guy and went to the end of the list and worked my way back. Good thing, as I located 200 worth at the last bank in the phone book! Heheheheheh! ;D

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Maybe we should paint the rims black with a marker so they would have to actually look at the date. This would be a good way to see how far these halves that members of this site searched actually circulate.
I am starting to think that ordering boxes of Fed rolls is the way to go. I have noticed that eBay is becoming flooded with rolls of 40% Kennedy's that they are trying to sell at 90% prices. Oh well, as long as kids keep getting into parent's collections, they will keep going back into circulation, and hopefully into my hands.

Paul

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got lots of comp here as well! I have gone to towns 30 min away in each direction and found rolls with all of the same markings at each ones. I searched $727 in halves today... and got just 3 40%. Every bank we went in to said that there are people askings for all the halves at every bank in the area. Most said they gave out all of their rolls the day before. It sucks having this much competition. Some of the rolls today had phone #'s on them... I was curious to call and ask the guy how his luck was searching them.

Oh well... it just motivates me to ask for pennies and nickels at most banks. I got one silver war nickel today and 4 wheats.

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
maybe you should order them by the box from out of town, deposit them in your town, and the others will get tired of nothing but clad, and quit looking! Just kidding......I think ordering by the box is the way to go though. My friend who is only in his second week already has 66 silvers form his order of $1000. He even got a full roll of 1966's ,and a 1970.

I am seriously starting to think that the sudden spike in silver prices has more people than usual looking through rolls. Hopefully they are looking through quarter rolls. I have found myself working a little more on nickels, dimes & pennies just for a little variety. I am still finding plenty of halves, but I am starting to see slow days here & there . I always end up with at least a few a day..............Today I found a 1966 that was in a roll that my local competetor missed (his name was on the roll) that made that whole situation even more funny than it already was............maybe I should have added that to the note I put in the roll for him!

paul

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
A few days ago I went to one of the banks in my town and I asked if they had any rolls of halves. The teller I asked did not have them, but she directed me to the male teller and said he has them. So he asked me how much do you want and I asked him how much did he have, his reply $500.00.

OK, so a bell goes off in my head and I said could I please see the rolls first. So he brings one of the trays up. I looked at them and said these rolls have already been searched,and opened at the ends and he said yes they have. So I said thank you,but I'll pass. This is the second time I have seen Brinks white paper wrapped rolls opened at one end and were obviously searched and put back into the white wrappers. Some of the rolls I bought last week at a different bank were like that,and I said I'm not getting stuck with those again. lol So there is MAJOR competition in halve searching right now!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I am taking all of mine back to the Chase bank that has a coin counter and they run them through the machine and send them off to Indianapolis. It pulls them all out of circulation here locally. Two of my silvers yesterday came from a bank that had a roll searcher drop off coins at. Apparently he didn't ask to check the other rolls they had there before he deposited all of his :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread