Half dollar score! (with picture now)

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I stopped at B of A on the way home, asked for halves. The teller said she had 4 rolls, that some guy had brought in a box of coins the day before. She said there were big dollars and old pennies. I asked for everything she had left from the box, and all she had was the halves. Peeked in the ends of 2 of the rolls that weren't taped. Silver. Waited til I got home to open them. WOOHOO!!!! :headbang:

Some of worst looking coins I've ever seen, but beautiful!

33 X '64 Kennedy
10 X Franklin
34 X 40%
3 clad

Some of the coins were nearly black, the wife said they looked like they been underwater, or in fire. They didn't smell smoky. I'm charging the cheapo video camera to see if I can take an acceptable still picture of them. Will post later if successful.

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Re: Half dollar score!

Dirty or not...they are still silver, boom boom!
Way to go! Excellent hit!
rileyboy

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

peanuttom said:
Some of the coins were nearly black, the wife said they looked like they been underwater, or in fire. They didn't smell smoky.

Great score.

Silver will tone (ie, tarnish, darken, change color) very easily depending on how it is stored. I doubt your coins were in a fire. Chances are they were stored in a manner that caused the silver to tone very heavily.

I have seen silver bars that were almost blackened by toning.

Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Today was your lucky day! Shows what happens when people don't know or care what they have.
HH :icon_thumright:
Gilbert

OP
OP
P

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009

Many of the coins have dark areas, with the rest of the coin bright and shiny, suggesting that perhaps they were stored loosely, with some of the coins overlapping others. There are also traces of rust on some of the surfaces, suggesting that something else metallic was among them. I've seen many dark, almost black silvers before, but not like this motley collection. Again, wil try to post pics later.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

dang! how can this b possible! cits never happened to me! :laughing9: ive never gotten more than one silver in a roll of coins b4! very nice score! good luck on future hunts, and enjoy ur silver! :icon_thumleft:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

You might have scored some Katrina coins. You might wanna dump them all in an ammonia bath to start or maybe at least some rubbing alcohol just to be safe. Especially since you are familiar with heavily toned coins. Could be some nasty stuff there...

Maine_Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Wow, what a find. I found (this week), at a B of A 9 1/2 rolls with 128 %40's . B of A is really in performance mode!

OP
OP
P

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009

Picture is of 90% coins only. The flash lightened the coins a little, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• PICT0002-1[2].jpg
    PICT0002-1[2].jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 458

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread