Found then sold for a confusing price **Buyer Update**

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Apparently strike doubling, which is said to have no extra value, is worth something to some people. I found this 1972 strike doubled cent last week, while searching a $25 box, and decided to put it on EBay to see what would happen. I started the bid at 99c for 3 days. With about 2 hrs to go there was a 99c bidder with 1 watching. I figured I might get $2 if I was lucky and then had to run a couple errands. Came home about an hour after the auction ended and was pleasantly shocked with what I saw. Check it out.

**UPDATE** I have to admit, I stressed myself with a bit of guilt over the selling price. That all went away today. Have a look at the 4th pic down.

Attachments

• 1972doublestruckdateeTNpic.jpg
    1972doublestruckdateeTNpic.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 739
  • 1972doublestruckfaceCLOSE.jpg
    1972doublestruckfaceCLOSE.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 776
  • EBAYSCREEN.jpg
    EBAYSCREEN.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 753
  • 1972buyercomment.jpg
    1972buyercomment.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Re: Found then sold for a confusing price

there are countless coin collectors out there that focus only on error coinage :D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, nice.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
Historyhound

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

golden silver said:
I think I must start looking for errors more. Now was this an error listed in redbook? What a profit. Awesome.

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

wow nice find and sale!
Cheers!

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

Historyhound said:
golden silver said:

Golden Silver

This isn't a listed error. I'm assuming the coin got stuck in the collar and was stamped a 2nd time before being ejected from the press. And that is just a guess.
that would be called Double Die... error... :read2:

OP
OP
Historyhound

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

jdsarasin8194 said:
Historyhound said:
golden silver said:

Golden Silver

that would be called Double Die... error... :read2:

Nope it is not a double die. A double die is a die that was doubled during hubbing. This has been double struck by a normal die.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

This is one of those that I think the doubled die folks get worked up over because it's not truly a "doubled die". I have a hard time with these types of errors (taking the time to id them on my part), but I think that the way you described it and provided excellent photos leaves no room for complaining by the purchaser. I have a few of these from this year (1972) and also the infamous 69-S. Given the price you realized I think I may have to get my camera fired up and start selling some. Thanks for sharing. HH all.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

jdsars... It is quite obviously a double die error. What I was refering to was this a common double die error listed in the red book. Sorry, I might have needed to expound a bit more. None the less to make almost 50 bones off of 1 cent is astonishing.

Golden Silver

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Quick reference would be PCGS.com. They list some of the more collectible doubled die strikes. I think the 1972 is among them. They also have decent pics. Unless you are an actual member of PCGS, they limit you to photos of only one error per day, though.

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Nice!!

OP
OP
Historyhound

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

golden silver said:
jdsars... It is quite obviously a double die error. What I was refering to was this a common double die error listed in the red book. Sorry, I might have needed to expound a bit more. None the less to make almost 50 bones off of 1 cent is astonishing.

Golden Silver

Absolutely NOT a double die. Double struck is the 100% correct desciption. Note how the secondary image has been flattened. A true double die would have the same raised features, not squashed flat. Just compare it with any double die and the difference should jump right out at you. Mine is on top.

Attachments

• 1972doublestruckdateCLOSEDATE.jpg
    1972doublestruckdateCLOSEDATE.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 642
  • 1972book.jpg
    1972book.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 643

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

That's a great coin and you scored well financially with it.
Good job!
rileyboy

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi all!
As I've said before just ask and I will try to help. First of all this is simple machine doubling. It wasn't on the hub. It didn't happen because the coin was struck twice. It happened because one of the dies had a little play in it. When the planchet was struck one of the dies (probably the top) twisted a little and created the secondary image as it settled in. I hate to say bad things about others, but you would have to be a real rube to bid on that coin. Let the buyer beware! Again, this isn't a double die and it for sure isn't a nice coin. Value....... one cent. To someone with money to waste......priceless. If you want to buy these just let me know. For that kind of money I'll get you all you want. :icon_scratch:
HH
Gilbert

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

That's a very good score ! I don't know the first thing about errors. I never look beyond the edge. If I see clad it's an error in my book. Who knows what treasures I've thrown back.
Perhaps when I get tired of this half dollar thing, I'll do some research and start hunting for these things.
HH
Rich

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Good for you - bonus Karma points for the description and pictures.
If that's what they want to pay, sell more!

OP
OP
Historyhound

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

enamel7 said:
Hi all!
As I've said before just ask and I will try to help. First of all this is simple machine doubling. It wasn't on the hub. It didn't happen because the coin was struck twice. It happened because one of the dies had a little play in it. When the planchet was struck one of the dies (probably the top) twisted a little and created the secondary image as it settled in. I hate to say bad things about others, but you would have to be a real rube to bid on that coin. Let the buyer beware! Again, this isn't a double die and it for sure isn't a nice coin. Value....... one cent. To someone with money to waste......priceless. If you want to buy these just let me know. For that kind of money I'll get you all you want. :icon_scratch:
HH
Gilbert

This is why the sale price shocked me. Am I wrong to assume that "strike doubling" and "machine doubling" mean the same thing? In my desription, I also never called it "double struck". I made sure not to call it a "double die", that would have been VERY misleading, and I've seen alot of people doing it. I've seen people pay big money for "grease filled" dies too.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Historyhound said:
golden silver said:

Golden Silver

I remember when was teen in 70's it was a listed mint error as a local Coin Dealer advertised for it; but my numismatic interests did not last more than couple years, my Silver (CRH) interests only begun in 09.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I don't fault you Historyhound. you showed integrity by listing the coin for what it is.
Also, to clarify the machine doubling a little more. According to the Cherrypicker's Guide this is caused by the components of the coin press becoming loose. The press operators correct this when they start appearing by simply stopping the press and tightening anything loose. Most collectors consider this type of coin to be damaged. :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions