I think I am cured

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I was at one of my banks today doing "legitimate" banking and one of the tellers asked me if I wanted any boxes of halves. I told her "no thanks". They were not ordered for me and this bank usually has a box or two on hand. Normally I would have said hell yes to the offer, but in a split second I turned them down. I guess like some other posters here, the slim returns I have been getting don't justify the time spent having to dump the rejects. I don't so much mind the searching even on skunk boxes, but I hate dumping rejects, especially when I find zero keepers.

I will still get all the machine bags I can find when they are available. But I really don't feel I will miss looking at all the marked up rejects in the boxes, at least for now. I hate to think of all the endless miles I put on my car looking for a couple of 40%ers over the past year or so.

I still encourage those CRHers in areas with decent finds to keep on searching. Maybe in the future the other CRHers where I live will give it up and the finds will be good again. Right now, I would say the CRHing is epidemic in my area. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but I am not kidding. At almost any bank on any given day here when I ask for halves (loose, hand rolls, etc) the tellers say they have none, and they ask "why are so many people asking for halves nowadays?", or something like that. Even in just the last couple of months things have become crazy with all the CRHers.

P.S. Maybe I was able to turn the boxes down so easily because I got my PM fix when I bought a couple of nice gold sovereigns close to spot today ;D. With all the recent developments in the financial world, especially recently with the Euro countries, I have never been more sure that gold and silver will within 5 years be at levels that now people would never believe. There may be corrections between then and now but you cannot count on them happening. Don't sell your CRHing silver finds unless you desperately need the money. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the "dumps" are a physical drain on this ol' body. But, I am so new here, I have not got to the point of no return yet.
I hope I can sell my 40% at some point and purchase small gold coins (1/10 ounce is my goal).

Good Luck--and as always, I love your posts.

apush :read2:

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
apush said:
Yes, the "dumps" are a physical drain on this ol' body. But, I am so new here, I have not got to the point of no return yet.
I hope I can sell my 40% at some point and purchase small gold coins (1/10 ounce is my goal).

Good Luck--and as always, I love your posts.

apush :read2:

Thanks Apush. I think you are on the right track with the small size gold coins. But one thing to watch out for is that there are usually super high premiums on the fractional gold coins of the major coin types, ie., maples, eagles, krugs, etc. If you want smaller sized gold coins (which really are a good idea for a number of reasons), you might want to consider some of the smaller, old foreign gold coins that come in small sizes. The only downside to them is they usually are odd sounding sized amounts of gold, such as .1177 ounce pure gold (half sovereign), etc. However, they are well recognized by coin dealers, they have a bit of history to them and you can usually get them for not much over spot, unlike the eagles, maples, etc, that sometimes wind up costing premiums of 200 to 300 dollars over the spot price per ounce.

Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have taken the box Jim. Like you said, you were doing regular bank business. You didn't have to go out of the way to get them. ::)

HH
Gilbert

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
enamel7 said:
Should have taken the box Jim. Like you said, you were doing regular bank business. You didn't have to go out of the way to get them. ::)

HH
Gilbert

Yes, but the magical "dump fairy" would not have appeared to take them to cash in when I was done. Also, my business has been good lately so I have been busy with that. Why spend time "working" for free (which is how I feel when I get skunk boxes) when I can generate revenue in my work, that I can then spend on PMs if I want. Yes, they are not at "face value", but I come out way ahead and don't feel like I am wasting my time.

Jim

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
To many, doing to many boxes and overloading the system right now. Greed rules. When we lose some of the "Over Achievers" things will improve. At least in my area i am still finding some Silver. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Jim,
I have to agree with you regarding all the competition out there. Not too long ago, I would always get customer wrapped rolls and plenty of loose halves in trays almost every day. They weren't always silver, but some of them usually were. Now, all I hear from many of the tellers is that they had some this morning, but someone was just here about an hour ago asking for half dollars. I still get lucky once in a while, but using all that gas and the time spent fighting the traffic is giving me cause for a "break in the action." Hopefully, after my upcoming surgery things will pick up and some of the competition will have given up.
rileyboy

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Jim,
I picked up the boxes that you left behind. I'm busy counting enders,but will post the results tomorrow.
Just kidding of course :laughing7:.
I quit for three weeks in March. It was a great feeling. Then like a dope I picked up a bunch of boxes and got somewhere around 200 keepers.I never looked back.
Until now. With the warm weather finally here, and my hatred of dumps, I may be tempted to take a break myself. I would like to,and plan on doing a large dime order before I take a break. Need 4 Mercs to compleat a roll.
I would not say I'm addicted to the hobby, but I've been on a minor roll for nearly a year. A good skunk could easily convince me to take a break. Maybe I'll get it this week :laughing7:
HH
Rich

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I just let my source bank that is farthest from me (~40 mi) return the last 6 boxes I had there with them. I was doing 6-9 boxes a week until earlier this month, and it was at the point where I was hitting dump banks at lunch and again after work, then rushing to the next source bank etc - and out of the last 33 boxes, a total of 4 90% and 2 40% found (yes weird ratio). That's 33,000 coins and only 6 silvers.

last summer I took the summer off and focused on pennies. The silver seemed to recharge in each of the 4 main cities I pull from when I got going again in the fall, but by April of this year they all ran dry again.
Here's to September getting good again. In the meantime, here comes the copper! I have 4 boxes on order to pick up this after noon :)

lesson learned - if you want silver and you really believe things are coming to a head in the global economy, just budget a small amount (50, 150, whatever) each week and buy your junk silver or eagles. Its better than the 25 ¢ per hour labor you pay yourself when you go through skunk after skunk after skunk...

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to rehab my friend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions