first time I lost it in a bank!

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Ok...rewind 3 weeks. I go into a local dump bank and the head teller tells me that I will begin getting charged for dropping coins at the bank. I ask to see a policy / memorandum regarding this; none was provided. I ask if it's just halves or dimes (the only denominations I do). She said for sure on halves, she didn't know about dimes. I say ok go about my business and leave.

A week later I dropped in and asked again for the memorandum / policy that stated people who drop coins in bulk would be charged. Again not provided. I ask if I can close my account. Told I haven't reached the minimum time to close the account and would be charged a fee. I leave disgruntled but continue about daily ops.

Today I have $330 in dimes to drop off, so I figure why not test the waters? I walk in to drop the dimes and am now confronted with a fee to drop dimes. I again ask for the policy or memorandum and still cannot be given one. They state anyone who drops bulk coin has to be charged (fuzzy definition, where do you draw the line?). I ask if they charge a normal customer who drops off coins and again it's stated that I drop too much. I say, well if that's the case I'd like to drop off $25 in dimes. Still a no! Then I say what about $5. I turn to the next teller and ask if she needs dimes for her drawer...all other tellers were ignoring me and startled by my abnormnal outburst (usually I'm candid and carry conversation with the tellers). The lady was going to charge me a fee to drop off $5!!! I ask to speak to the manager and of course he's on vacation. I then go back and ask if I can close my account without a fee being charged. I am told that I can take out all my money and it be closed on the 20th, something I was not told last time! I told her I'd rather not close it and I'll be back next week to talk to the manager.

Look, I know I abuse the system...we all do. I plan on leaving the bank and opening a new account, but that's not the point. If they are going to have the rule, then provide me some information on the rule instead of coming out with your guns... I mean mine aren't drawn! In the end it's not a big deal, more banks are out there and I can drop at any other one...it just frustrates me that people want to make rules and have no information / paperwork backing me up. And the fact they're going to charge me a fee to drop $5 in dimes off when other customers don't have to pay a fee....redic. I have burned the bridge at this bank.

Unfortunately I was in uniform when I lost it, something that is a rarity and something I'm not grateful for. Anyways, I'll keep everyone in the loop about the outcome. Until your next silver find... cheers!

~phrostie

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phrostie said:
Unfortunately I was in uniform when I lost it, something that is a rarity and something I'm not grateful for. Anyways, I'll keep everyone in the loop about the outcome. Until your next silver find... cheers!

~phrostie

Uniform? What kind of uniform?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
She couldn't provide a statement of the policy, then you should have escalated the problem. Ask for her supervisor's name and phone number. Follow up, and if that supervisor can not provide a statement of the policy, then ask for their supervisor. One thing I learned in the military is that Sh*t rolls down hill. Same is true in the corporate world. I have no problem escalating issues to superiors. Some bank manager's become corrupt with their power only to forget that they are there to serve a customer.

One bank manager dared to push some non-existent policy on me. I spoke with the district manager. He is no longer the bank manager. He has been reassigned. Ironically, he has been reassigned to my supply bank pushing credit cards. I make sure to say "Hello" whenever I walk by rolling a dolly with my halves.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Diver down is right. Ask for supervisors numbers and ask about written policy on coin returns.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank has a machine that counts and rolls coins and its free for bank customer,s with accounts i dropped in that machine over 12,000 penny's and it credited to my savings account you get a choice
i thought all banks had those machines :dontknow: as far as i know there is no limit , $ 240.00 in my savings account in 15 minutes :thumbsup: Dd60

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was not charged a fee to dump dimes at my CU, sweet setup, just hand the $500 bag of loose dimes over the counter, and teller gives me cash. I was dumping an average of $1k a week. After a year, suddenly, my wife (an employee) tells me that I can no longer bring it loose coin, has to be rolled (forget that!).
This was per her manager, and I asked, (hey, as a member, I'm part owner), why have things suddenly changed? Basically, the vault coming up short too many times, no fault of mine....she told me to take it up with the CEO, who I know personally. I have not challenged their position....yet. ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
phrostie said:
I ask if I can close my account. Told I haven't reached the minimum time to close the account and would be charged a fee. I leave disgruntled but continue about daily ops.
~phrostie

How long did you have an account there? I have never heard of a minimum time to have an account before you can close it.

It won't be too long before all banks and CUs put the CRHer out of business. I am glad that I was able to CRH a decent amount while there were still some finds here and there.

Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
jim4silver said:
phrostie said:
I ask if I can close my account. Told I haven't reached the minimum time to close the account and would be charged a fee. I leave disgruntled but continue about daily ops.
~phrostie

How long did you have an account there? I have never heard of a minimum time to have an account before you can close it.

It won't be too long before all banks and CUs put the CRHer out of business. I am glad that I was able to CRH a decent amount while there were still some finds here and there.

Jim
Yeah I was informed when opened one last month if closed it in less than 3 months they charge $25 . Do not see how they can collect it as if you structure your balance right then draw out the balance with your say debit card and not use the account again they get nothing.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah I was informed when opened one last month if closed it in less than 3 months they charge $25 . Do not see how they can collect it as if you structure your balance right then draw out the balance with your say debit card and not use the account again they get nothing.

Obe,
Here is how they could get you. They take you to civil court. You get a summons to appear on a certain date and at the last minute the bank changes the date on you. Then the judge holds you in contempt of courtfor missing the court date and locks you up till you pay a fine that you can't possibly afford.
New type of debtors prison.
HH
Rich

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Rich/Obe,

Here is a better way for them to do it. So many people have complained to the politicians about overdraft fees that the banks will start keeping a safety net in your account say $25 - 50. You go to the ATM and try withdraw it and maybe you get a message that says sorry, please go inside to complete your transaction during regular business hours. I am not advocating this, just sayin that there is always a way or to put it better, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. HH all.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
My bank has a machine that counts and rolls coins and its free for bank customer,s with accounts i dropped in that machine over 12,000 penny's and it credited to my savings account you get a choice
i thought all banks had those machines :dontknow: as far as i know there is no limit , $ 240.00 in my savings account in 15 minutes :thumbsup: Dd60
Actually most banks don't have counters. I have a great relationship with my dump banks. Of course they know I am disabled and awaiting a future mega lawsuit from a former employer. They were stupid enough to let me go for having a chronic illness. Admitted so to my face. Gonna be a wealthy man after I'm thru with them. Even my order banks fall over backwards to get me what I need. the dump banks even look for good coins being dumped by other customers so I can buy the bags. That's why I was able to find the 1916d Merc last year.
HH
Gilbert

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Phrostie,
After reading Gilbert's post I got an idea :sign13:. Go back to that bank,trip and fall, and tell them you injured your proboscis. One look at the red prominent appendage and they will immediately settle for a large amount of money or let you dump away as much as you want :laughing7:.

Seriously though, there are some bad banks that treat their customers terribly. I've lost it a couple of times,in banks. That's why I quit doing road trips. Looking back on the incidents they are kind of funny. I can't write about them here though, they are not PC, and I'll get deleted. :laughing7:
HH
Rich

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like they are just giving you the run around and trying to get rid of you. Thay think you will believe what ever they tell you. Fight it man, take it higher and higher until you get to the bottom of it. I think it's really a bunch of BS that they told you that you willl be fined for closing an account early, I have never heard of this from any bank. It should be entirely up to you when you want to close an account without any type of fees. Especially if someone is unhappy with a bank, are they supposed to just stay there because they don't want to get charged a fee?? Not cool man, I'd be in there whipping up a tornado from hell bro. Banks serve you, not the other way around, no way they can do that crap.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
phrostie said:
Ok...rewind 3 weeks. I go into a local dump bank and the head teller tells me that I will begin getting charged for dropping coins at the bank. I ask to see a policy / memorandum regarding this; none was provided. I ask if it's just halves or dimes (the only denominations I do). She said for sure on halves, she didn't know about dimes. I say ok go about my business and leave.

A week later I dropped in and asked again for the memorandum / policy that stated people who drop coins in bulk would be charged. Again not provided. I ask if I can close my account. Told I haven't reached the minimum time to close the account and would be charged a fee. I leave disgruntled but continue about daily ops.

Today I have $330 in dimes to drop off, so I figure why not test the waters? I walk in to drop the dimes and am now confronted with a fee to drop dimes. I again ask for the policy or memorandum and still cannot be given one. They state anyone who drops bulk coin has to be charged (fuzzy definition, where do you draw the line?). I ask if they charge a normal customer who drops off coins and again it's stated that I drop too much. I say, well if that's the case I'd like to drop off $25 in dimes. Still a no! Then I say what about $5. I turn to the next teller and ask if she needs dimes for her drawer...all other tellers were ignoring me and startled by my abnormnal outburst (usually I'm candid and carry conversation with the tellers). The lady was going to charge me a fee to drop off $5!!! I ask to speak to the manager and of course he's on vacation. I then go back and ask if I can close my account without a fee being charged. I am told that I can take out all my money and it be closed on the 20th, something I was not told last time! I told her I'd rather not close it and I'll be back next week to talk to the manager.

Look, I know I abuse the system...we all do. I plan on leaving the bank and opening a new account, but that's not the point. If they are going to have the rule, then provide me some information on the rule instead of coming out with your guns... I mean mine aren't drawn! In the end it's not a big deal, more banks are out there and I can drop at any other one...it just frustrates me that people want to make rules and have no information / paperwork backing me up. And the fact they're going to charge me a fee to drop $5 in dimes off when other customers don't have to pay a fee....redic. I have burned the bridge at this bank.

~phrostie

I'm back to a question that was asked early on.

What type of uniform? :-)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jrf30 said:

My guess is military uniform of some type. I deduce this based on some of the phrases used in the original post, such as "...daily ops". And the people who often use the phrase "in uniform" are usually military people in my experience.

I could be wrong though.

Jim

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ive almost lost it in banks sooooooooo many times...i wanna get up in their faces, yell and scream, and take that lil' tray-a-change they have on the counter top, pick out any silver, and take the tray and shove it...well enough said, i think u get the idea. :laughing9: good luck on finding a new dump bank if u dont have many more, or havent found one already.

Ashdowney

Feb 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Army.

Thanks for reading, I'm overwhelmed by the responses...guess a lot of people have had similar experiences! I think I'll call back and push it up the chain.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
jrf30 said:
phrostie said:

~phrostie

CRHing uniform...duh :laughing7:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Ashdowney said:
Army.

Thanks for reading, I'm overwhelmed by the responses...guess a lot of people have had similar experiences! I think I'll call back and push it up the chain.

Phrostie and Ashdowney are the same person? ???

Jim

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Good catch! She must've signed on after I posted.

Not the same person, just my sweet and lovely wife. She's good looking and all I have is a cold nose!

~phrostie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions