How are the layers of a 40% silver-clad coin fused?

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Good question.

As far as i know they start out as sheets and the planchets are punched out. but the bonding process I'm not i the know.

I have had a cople of 40's that have seperated though. I would imagine that there is a heating and pressing process though.?

Mojo

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
they just lie, all 40%ers are really copper-nickel, or 90% silver, its one or the other, they just think its fun to lie to everyone to confuse them. :laughing9:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
The coin shaped planchets are punched from sheets of co-extruded metal which have been rolled to the proper thickness depending on denomination.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
TXTim said:
The coin shaped planchets are punched from sheets of co-extruded metal which have been rolled to the proper thickness depending on denomination.
I've had a couple of %40's rubbed almost smooth- saw not a hint of copper in them, and many that have been drilled thru again not a hint of copper in them.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
obediah said:
TXTim said:
I've had a couple of %40's rubbed almost smooth- saw not a hint of copper in them, and many that have been drilled thru again not a hint of copper in them.

I've seen the same with many modern clad coins too.
Drilling can produce heat, drag and melt the clad layers through the hole.

Check out this site:

http://www.cladmetal.com/overlay.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread