2 boxes of nickels

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
since the boxes of halves have gone sour around here i thought i would test the waters with nickels. it has been about 5 years since i have done any. the batch sure has changed alot in that time. i thought i would find more pre 1962 dates then what i did. found alot of those commens (peace, buffalo, and ocean in view). i thought of doing a post something like -----76 buffalo nickel finds and posting a pic of those new buffalo nickels----but i decided not to LOL. anyway out of 200.00 worth i got----

4 silver war nickels
2 buffalo's
1 from canada

guess i will do some more dimes next week along with some halves

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Nice score ! I only do those nickels once a year because I go stir crazy looking at each coin. By the time this month is over I will have searched 71 boxes,which is the most I've ever done. Did pretty good,but I'm tired of looking at halves,and I don't care if they are silver or not.
I want to search dimes,just for the sake of searching something different. I'll still do my minimum amount of halves only because I have a standing order. Might even try some quarters too.
I'd probably would do nickels if it was possible to edge search them.
HH
Rich

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Rich you could always back search the nickles for silver since the big mint mark is on the back that year. Really you can spot the silver ones pretty easy on either heads or tails since they all have the same weird haze to them.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Cherryman68 said:
Rich you could always back search the nickles for silver since the big mint mark is on the back that year. Really you can spot the silver ones pretty easy on either heads or tails since they all have the same weird haze to them.

I guess it would take practice. I do have a half dozen silver war nickels that look as if they are brand new,and without seeing the mintmark,they would look just like any standard nickel.
HH
Rich

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
so far almost all of my warnicks ive rim searched (of course i check dates to b sure), but anyway silvercop, thats a GREAT box of nickels! good job, and hh.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickels do take forever, no way to rim search. I have found some cool nickels though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions