Surprising Find Today On Coinstar Center Machine

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
The Half-Hound had intended on maintaining a low profile for a while (since I have already posted a couple of times this week.) But something happened this morning that I would like to share.

I have lately been reading about what has been found in the coin-return/reject tray of Coinstar Center machines. In the Albertson's grocery store where I live is a Redbox DVD rental machine and a Coinstar Center machine. This morning my wife and I went shopping in this grocery store. I have never used either of these machines. I had never even walked past them before - but this morning I walked over and took a look.

As I approached the Coinstar machine I quickly noticed the relatively large coin-return/reject tray in the front of the machine. I was not surprised that it was empty. Then I noticed there were four items on the top of the machine where coins are deposited.

I found a 5/16 washer, a "Dave and Buster's" token, an inflating needle (for basketballs, footballs, et cetera), and a penny.

As my eyes focused on the penny, I realized it was a "wheat-back." Then I realized it was not a regular copper-colored penny; it was dull silver colored. It finally occurred to me that this was a 1943 steel penny! It was a 1943 D. What a surprise!

Thanks to those who offered advise on keeping my wife happy with my new CRH hobby (previous message.) The best advise seemed to be to turn my hobby into quality time by involving her. I'm still working on that.

My productivity has improved from 31 silver coins to 43. The Half-Hound is still around.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
they are real cool :icon_thumright:. i was amazed when i found one in a cash register, but is still my only one

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pointed out the CoinStar machines to my sons and explained about silver and such...so my youngest (17) comes home the other day with a nice dime and several canadians coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
cuttybce said:
Always, always check the Coinstars. Finding two silver Roosies (a '53 and a '56) is what got me started in this hobby.
I'm amazed, I've checked them off and on for years, (eyeball it as I'm walking by), not even a cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread