What does a box of coins cost the bank? Brinks?

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I can't speak about the entire chain, but I don't think many of the coins you spend in a store, go to a bank. If each individual cash register starts each day/shift with the same amount of money in small bills and change (let's say $250). That drawer will be counted down to $250 and the rest will be deposited. What is taken from the drawer will be compared to the final register report and the difference will be what the drawer is over/short. The most any register would give up in coins is 99 cents. The business owner/manager will keep coins, ones, fives , etc. as much as possible. It is just the opposite of what most people do at home. If a store had to put $1,000 in the bank tomorrow, it would use all of its 100's, 50's 20's as much as possible. While if I had to put $1,000 in the bank tomorrow, I would keep as many of my large bills as I could and get rid of the small stuff. Clear as mud?

It doesn't make sense to deposit piles of loose coins, when you are a business, because you will have to turn around and buy even more rolls of coins from the bank.

Maybe that is why many banks don't like CRHers, most of the business customers don't bring in alot of coins (no extra work). The average customer only brings in coins maybe twice a year (small pain, but part of the job). But us CRHers bring it in all the time (lots of extra work, week after week).

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
dave5710 basically explained it all, except the supply chain as far as going thru brinks etc., so here is what i understand it to look like:
1. supermarket gives u change, which u throw in a jar, or something like that.
2. u then bring coins to bank and dump 'em in their machine, and get bills for them.
3. then the bags of coins are filled in the machine (each bag is different in its capacity, halves, quarters & dimes= $1,000, but nickels= $200, and pennies= $50-$100, tho most machine have more than one of each bag)
4. once they r filled the bank stores 'em in their vault till the next coin servicing day. (brinks or what ever come)
5. brinks then gets the bags, puts 'em thru a machine that rolls 'em, they then box them (the rolls), and send them off to banks that need coins, so when u order coins, thats where they come from.

as for how much they charge banks, i dont know, but i know if i order boxes at my local w.f. they would charge me $7.50 per box, altho i wouldnt pay that if it was the last supply bank i had.
hope this helps.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
CHAINCHOMP said:
dave5710 basically explained it all, except the supply chain as far as going thru brinks etc., so here is what i understand it to look like:
1. supermarket gives u change, which u throw in a jar, or something like that.
2. u then bring coins to bank and dump 'em in their machine, and get bills for them.
3. then the bags of coins are filled in the machine (each bag is different in its capacity, halves, quarters & dimes= $1,000, but nickels= $200, and pennies= $50-$100, tho most machine have more than one of each bag)
4. once they r filled the bank stores 'em in their vault till the next coin servicing day. (brinks or what ever come)
5. brinks then gets the bags, puts 'em thru a machine that rolls 'em, they then box them (the rolls), and send them off to banks that need coins, so when u order coins, thats where they come from.

as for how much they charge banks, i dont know, but i know if i order boxes at my local w.f. they would charge me $7.50 per box, altho i wouldnt pay that if it was the last supply bank i had.
hope this helps.
Any Biz with coin machines or even Soda machines, and such places as laundry mats, or have video machines etc, etc, will bring in lots of change to Bank(s).

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Obe, is correct. Vending machines (mostly quarters) would be an exception. I asked the people who own and service the gumball machines where I work about finding silver coins, and they said it was very very rare.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had thought about it when I made the previous post, but I didn't think about the volume. There are many, many vending machines out there.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5710 said:
Obe, is correct. Vending machines (mostly quarters) would be an exception. I asked the people who own and service the gumball machines where I work about finding silver coins, and they said it was very very rare.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had thought about it when I made the previous post, but I didn't think about the volume. There are many, many vending machines out there.

Our credit union only allows you to 'Dump' $100.00 dollars in one day through their machines for free. The reason I was given was that Brinks charges the bank .11 cents a roll to collect them from the bank and then re-roll them for distribution. I asked what the price was to order boxes of coins. The manager said that was a freebie and had nothing at all to do with the coin machine, they are charged a flat rate by Brinks each month for their services whether they use them or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread