SO I went to Loomis

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Not a bank but the actual location where they keep the trucks and roll the coins. The shop manager said they can't sell money there because it all belongs to the banks. Said 2 years ago they had around 100lbs of silver quarters in the machines and all they could do was watch it be sorted and rolled......Said the worst time for them is when new quarters come out because all the banks call and want them and loomis is only allocated so many. Anyways, was neat to find out. I was there on real business and decided to ask.....can't hurt...

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
figures they can't sell to you straight from them, gotta be ordered from banks

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Just an amaizing thought 100 lbs of silver quarters at today's spot price of 18.53/troy oz. of silver equals roughly

8,064 silver quarters (roughly $2,016 face value)
1,458.3 troy ounces
for a gross value of $27,023.23

Now what a haul that would have been to pull in. What a heart break to watch it roll by.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
This is what I have said all along when people start coming up with unsubstantiated stories about the coin couriers culling silver. They are merely liasons between the fed reserve and the banks (the fed reserve is the bank to the banks so to speak).

Glad for your post.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
jim4silver said:
This is what I have said all along when people start coming up with unsubstantiated stories about the coin couriers culling silver. They are merely liasons between the fed reserve and the banks (the fed reserve is the bank to the banks so to speak).

Glad for your post.

Jim

I'm so sure that culling silver takes place before reaching the bank, that not only would I bet all my PM's on this fact,but I would bet my life.
I can't say if it happens in the depot,in the truck, or maybe(although I doubt it) in the bank after delivery. I can prove that it happens,absolutely and positively. I just need to get a hold of a camera.
It's late so I don't have the time now to tell you what to look for but I will in a future post.
HH
Rich

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Rich Hartford said:
jim4silver said:

Glad for your post.

Jim

I'm so sure that culling silver takes place before reaching the bank, that not only would I bet all my PM's on this fact,but I would bet my life.
I can't say if it happens in the depot,in the truck, or maybe(although I doubt it) in the bank after delivery. I can prove that it happens,absolutely and positively. I just need to get a hold of a camera.
It's late so I don't have the time now to tell you what to look for but I will in a future post.
HH
Rich

Strong words. And I'd like to know your proof. really. I agree with you, but have no proof. So to see yours would be a great thing for me. :-) Please let us know when you can expound upon this. :-D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one know I have had boxes that have been opened and rolls that have been picked open and attempted to roll back. This box below was missing $5 worth of halves. Do I know if they were silver? No, but it was obvious that someone cherry picked this box. It took place at the sorting facility, in the truck, at the bank, or by the teller that gave them to me, I dont know. Have a look for yourself.

Attachments

• Open Box.jpg
    Open Box.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Missing Halves 1.jpg
    Missing Halves 1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 434
  • Roll Missing 3.jpg
    Roll Missing 3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 453

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
jim4silver said:

Glad for your post.

Jim

HH
Rich

By silver culling that is NOT taking place, I am referring to the coins being sent through a counting machine that kicks out the silver intentionally, with said system being put in place by the coin courier company for that specific purpose.

Whether or not any particular coin courier service has employee who sift through boxes without official permission of their employer, I don't know. That type of thing would not surprise me a bit.

Jim

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
I for one know I have had boxes that have been opened and rolls that have been picked open and attempted to roll back. This box below was missing $5 worth of halves. Do I know if they were silver? No, but it was obvious that someone cherry picked this box. It took place at the sorting facility, in the truck, at the bank, or by the teller that gave them to me, I dont know. Have a look for yourself.
This could also have been done by a roll hunter. There is a person in my area that will buy the boxes, search and reroll like this, then bring the halves back in the boxes.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayne1956 said:
AGCoinHunter said:
This could also have been done by a roll hunter. There is a person in my area that will buy the boxes, search and reroll like this, then bring the halves back in the boxes.

I thought the same thing but there were only a few rolls that were missing halves in the entire box. It would seem that if a AG searcher had returned these, all of them would have been picked open. I have never been shorted this much before though. After this, I am done with boxes, asked for bags again. Atleast the bags cant be picked that easy.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Have had mine short as much as $2 in a single roll B4, and the roll was perfectly machined, have also had rolls that were machined poorly which is what those in your pic look like; machines are not perfect. Had one box in the last batch got last year, it was full of rolls that the machine screwed (they looked like ones in your pics) up many were broken with lots of loose coins in it- oh it was my best Box of the year too (248 Silvers, 28 were %90's).

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I think this is same as employees steal from companies more then shoppers. it definitely happens, to prove it would be something else or to get someone to say it that won't happen. just like an employee stealing they wouldn't say it, they would hide it or say they bought it elsewhere.

but sounds like you had a fun experience :icon_thumright:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kd5txx said:
Not a bank but the actual location where they keep the trucks and roll the coins. The shop manager said they can't sell money there because it all belongs to the banks. Said 2 years ago they had around 100lbs of silver quarters in the machines and all they could do was watch it be sorted and rolled......Said the worst time for them is when new quarters come out because all the banks call and want them and loomis is only allocated so many. Anyways, was neat to find out. I was there on real business and decided to ask.....can't hurt...

How would they know that they have 100lbs of silver quarters unless their machines are actually separating out the silver?

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
A bag of quarters weighs roughly 25 pounds. 4 bags would be 100 pounds. See Golden Silver's post above.

You can't tell me that if I owned a courier service, that I can't replace coins that come in with other coins, and take the ones I want home.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5710 said:
A bag of quarters weighs roughly 25 pounds. 4 bags would be 100 pounds. See Golden Silver's post above.

You can't tell me that if I owned a courier service, that I can't replace coins that come in with other coins, and take the ones I want home.

Ok... let's put it another way. How would they know they have 4 bags of silver if they weren't separating out the silver? :wink:

In order for someone to know how much silver they have it must be separated out or counted in some way...

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
I for one know I have had boxes that have been opened and rolls that have been picked open and attempted to roll back. This box below was missing $5 worth of halves. Do I know if they were silver? No, but it was obvious that someone cherry picked this box. It took place at the sorting facility, in the truck, at the bank, or by the teller that gave them to me, I don't know. Have a look for yourself.

I have been seeing these boxes too much lately myself. And guess what, there are never any keepers in those rolls. In fact, starting today I will open the boxes while still in the bank and look for "tampered" rolls. If I see them, I will point it out to the bank and suggest that they investigate; for someone is obviously compromising the integrity of a supposed hands-free operation........not to mention the dollar amount being off as a result.

I shouldn't be cutting off my nose to spite my face; as no human hands should be involved in this automated sorting, rolling and packing of coins at these facilities. Maybe a few of these "investigations" will cause some heads to roll and put the "fear of god" in the culprits.

Stay tuned.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not take a box any more unless the tape is still intact. Since I bring them goodies time to time (homemade sugar coated pecans, they are "nuts" about them :laughing9:), they do not give me any grief about it.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Hmm didnt think there were that many silver quarters at any one location. Maybe i will try quarters again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread