Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apush's trip to the local coin shoppe

A few weeks back I posted what I thought was a dime error coin. The pics posted were not so great and therefore it was difficult for the nice folks who offered advice on T-Net to give any realistic evaluation. Finally, I had a few minutes at lunch to run to a local coin shoppe with my clad dime in tow.

I have only been in the shoppe one other time and was not too impressed. Not good vibes, but this is the closest coin dealer in my area. So, I hand him the dime, ask him if it is really an error from the mint, or post-mint. He gets out his loupe, says this looks like a very interesting dime, then takes his loupe off and places the dime under a microscope. He tells me it does look like an error from the mint, but this is not his area of expertise. He then hands me a business card and says that our town has a coin club that meets every third Thursday of the month. One of the members specializes in errors. Asks me to come by and the guy will check the dime out. I thank him, but before I leave, just out of curiosity, I wanted to know what he paid for junk silver. Told him I had 100-40% and 100-90% halves. For the 40% he would pay $1 each and $220 for the 90%. No, I did not sell my silver.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Re: Apush's trip to the local coin shoppe

No wonder you didn't get good vibes, next time you have to go there better wear a chastity belt- that guys a rapist. Same thing where I live on the 40%, but they will pay a decent amount for 90%. I joined a couple coin clubs here, I looked at it as a way to unload some things I didn't want. The dues were so cheap I couldn't afford not to join and I've already won enough silver in the raffles to pay ME up next few years. HH Mark

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

I'd head to the coin club. I would ask him what his sell price was since he had such low buy prices maybe he is stuck in the wrong century...minimum on 40% is $2 per coin. Should get more but for a quick sale, $2 isn't bad. The buyer can still make some money when they ship off a larger quantity to the refineries and you don't have to deal with that side of it. Less than $2 and I would also have walked quickly out the door.

Maine_Jim

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like my only local coin shop. Way overpriced on everything and low ball offers on AG. The only other one in the area is closed now as the part owner was retiring. Sucks cause he had good AG prices.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Sounds like my local dealer, $1 on 40's but $4 for 90's.....nothing gets shipped to the smelter, as he can't keep junk silver in stock.....his sell price is 14 X face, and his silver dollars that I've been buying for $15 ea for 2 yrs just jumped to $19 ea, because, as he says, "silver's going crazy", lol! ffd

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

I have this great idea. Open a coin store and run it in your spare time. School will just have to take second fiddle for awhile.

Cheers and happy hunting you to you and Mister Mister. Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can do better selling silver than $1 a piece for 40%. I'd throw them on e-bay before I went that low

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

thats a low offer!!! i hate it when people do that!!! my local coin shop is the same way. good luck on ur dime error!

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL Coolpix . . . yep, could do it in my spare time :)

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread