Newbies interesting 2nd CRH

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie's interesting 2nd CRH

Followed up my 1st ever CRH with another $25 in pennies. I went to a different branch of my primary bank. I asked for a box and the teller went back to the vault and brought 50 customer rolls. I noticed that a bunch of them had older looking rolls and had "New" written on them. I instantly felt let down b/c I figured most of these rolls have been sorted already.

Anyway, the twelve rolls that had "New" written on them smelled of perfume and contained pennies exclusively from '59 to '72. The rest of the rolls were in newer wrappers and contained the usual assortment of years...except one roll. One roll was in an older wrapper and had "Old" written on it. Sure enough, it was a solid roll of wheaties. There was nothing older than a '40, but there was a steel '43 in the roll. In addition to the solid roll, there were 7 wheaties in the other unmarked rolls.

Summary:
57 wheaties
$11.53 in copper

I went back to the same branch and got another $25 in rolls, hoping that maybe there were more of these rolls in the vault. There weren't any older looking rolls in the new assortment. Most are customer rolled, some are machine rolled. I'll probably wait to go through this new assortment.

Anyway, very cool result. It may take a week to get the perfume smell off my fingers, though.

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie's interesting 2nd CRH

Have you tried boxes? Bet there is no perfume there. :) Once (and only once) I had a box that produced over 190 wheats--1/2 of which was older than the 1940s. Really enjoyed that box.

Good Luck!
apush :read2:

OP
OP
lahmejoon

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow - that's a ton of wheats in one box.

I had asked for a box, but I'm guessing the bank had a ton of rolls come in from various customers and was probably looking to move them. These older rolls had to have been sitting in a lady's closet for years. It almost makes me wonder the circumstances behind why she had these rolls stashed away and what happened to her.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I assume you are saving your copper? Nice pickup on the wheats. Best box I have had lately was 45 wheats.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lahmejoon,
Good job! 57 wheats is very respectable!
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread