I need some Advice

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
My Bank calls today and the teller on the other end says that a guy brought in 2- $100 dollar bags of cents from the mint. They are from the mid 70's. They are also in sealed or sown canvas bags. Do you think they would be worth getting? I am not a cent guy so any of you guys schooled in 1 cent coinage I would appreciate your imput. Also she said the guy is going to bring in a collection of 2 dollar bills that are in sequencial order. I really don't do paper money so if anybody can tell me if that is a good find let me know. Thanks.

Golden Silver

Upvote 0

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970's cents are mostly copper and worth $0.0200703 each at current copper prices, meaning (2) $100 bags would be worth $401.41 in copper melt value. It's currently illegal to melt copper pennies, but you could always spend them or cash them in and get your $200 back. Same thing with the $2 bills, you could try to sell them for a premium especially since they have consecutive serial numbers, but you can always get your $2 back.

HH
Legend

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the cash why not check them out. As said, you won't loose any $.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden,
I know that getting bills in sequential order does increase the value. Some 2 dollar bills are good to have. Obviously the older the better. If they are star notes that would be really cool, and worth getting. I would have to know the year and serial number to really be able to help though.
People do buy notes on e-bay that are in order though. it's worth a shot, at worst you won't be losing any money, you could always just spend them if they aren't worth anything over face. If they are low serial numbers I would buy them for sure.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I would absolutely buy the cents, especially if they are mint sealed bags. There are many people out there that would buy them just to go through and look for varieties and errors for whatever year and mint they are from. Epecially if they are 72P. As for the copper route you can expect to sell them as copper cents for about 1.3-1.4 cents a piece. You could try ebay, but honestly I would probably try to sell them on the realcent forum first if you don't want to deal with them. At least you won't get hit with a bunch of fees.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i would definitely buy 'em!!! its copper, probably uncirc too, but if not still copper!!! also, get the twos, and keep any star notes, pre-1976 notes, low/high serials, and cool/fancy serial #'ed bills...look on the paper currencies board if u need more help, as far as what cool s.n. #'s are, or whatelse to keep from the bunch...none the less, i would buy it all, since its a collector trading it in!
keep it up and hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions