How did you learn about CRH?

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
With all the talk about you-tube videos and "trying" to keep our dirty little secret... I got to wondering just how did everyone here learn about CRH? For me it started a little over 4 years ago while discussing coin collecting with our H.R. Manager in the great state of Tennessee. He said he was buying rolled coins from the banks and finding silver (among other things). That weekend I bought my first box and the rest as they say is history.

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started as a kid about 30 years ago. Just seemed the next logical step after searching everyone's change. :thumbsup:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled on this site by accident. Mr. Apush purchased me a detector for Christmas (Bounty Hunter). Had so much fun, I purchased another one a few months later (ACE 250). I generally had only viewed the dectector threads, but one day I kept scrolling on down . . . and yep, the rest is history.

apush :read2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I started 30 years ago in high school, right during the peak of the silver boom of 1979/80.
I don't remember how or why, I just knew that it was the thing to do, just made sense.
Didn't have much money then, but I remember that the competition was worse than what it is now. I remember searching my old man's pocket change and one particular time finding a 1919 S wheat and silver rosie. Then the market crashed and I forgot all about it for years, until I found this forum. ffd

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I posted on craigslist to find price for common wheat pennies and someone told me to search banks for silver, only been doing this for a year, but plan to do for a while. would love to get a MD and hunt the beaches ;)

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
About 1 yr. ago I was gifted a mixed bag of silver quarters,halves,wheats and a few buff and war nickels.Hit how to collect on the computer.Found this site.Been nuts ever since.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
After Obama doubled the money supply i started buying junk silver. While researching junk silver i came across this forum and the rest is history.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've been MDing off and on for 30 years so I had a few old coins. Around 2000 I met this wealthy guy who was telling me that the economy would eventually go sour and it would be a good idea to invest in PM's. He was talking gold,which seemed expensive and risky to me so I started buying mostly junk silver.
In 2008 I met an MDer who belonged to a club that went on organized hunts and were picking up a good amount of colonial coins. This sparked my interest as I was contemplating joining,and I started doing some research on the computer which lead me to this site. While searching the site I stumbled upon CRHing. Being the end of November it was already getting too cold to go Mding,so I scrapped that plan and went on my first road trip. I scored pretty well my first time out, and kept on going from there.
HH
Rich

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother told me about this site (CRH'ing), I've been collecting coins (and silver) for years.

HH,
Legend

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I learned from my father about twenty years ago, who told me about all the silver he and my grandfather pulled out of circulation back when they stopped producing it. Of course that silver was sold off when it was high in the late 70's :icon_scratch: early 80's. So as a young kid I thought that was a interesting and cheap method of finding coins.

As for this site I found it a 1 1/2 years ago just doing an internet search and have been glued to this forum everyday since.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have CRH-ed since the early 70's, but never bought a box until about about the time I found this forum in mid 2007. I used to just go and ask for rolls from various banks. The odd thing is that I have found more silver in recent years (2005-2010) then I had found in the 70's and 80's, of course back then I did not box search.

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
I decided to see how much of the Lincoln cent set that I could put together just from pocket change just for fun, and I just kept on taking in more and more pennies. I eventually asked for as many penny rolls as I could get at my bank and then I discovered THE BOX. After that it only made sense to start searching other denominations by the box for rarities and the ever popular silver. It wasn't until I stumbled upon this site though that I realized that I could order boxes of halves, but that didn't last too long because for me they are ridiculously hard to get rid of.

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My RecoveringRelics videos on YouTube led me into TNet and thats where I found out about CRH. Didn't really know what it was until recently.

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I started back in 1979 when a coin dealer told me about it when silver was selling 12x1.
I stopped as tellers started saying there was no half dollars.
I found this website due to MD and found this forum. The many successes lead me back to the hunt and I have expanded to dimes.

Cheers!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always known about CRHing. My father was collecting coins before I was born. He'd put all his change in a big Mason jar. When it filled, we'd dump it on the kitchen table looking for wheaties and silver. He told me a story about his uncle that CRHed back when coins were still made of silver (late 50's-early 60's) looking primarily for "older" coins like Mercs, Walkers, etc., and absolutely hoarded every single silver dollar he could find. I think my great-aunt nearly divorced him when he came home from the bank with about $500 worth of Morgans (that they really couldn't afford), saying that "they would be worth a lot someday." The whole family thought he was nuts.

Dad and I metal detected quite a bit during the 70's and early 80's and we both still check our change for goodies. Ever since I've been big enough to see over the counter, I have always peeked into cash registers and tellers' trays looking for silver rims. We always talked about making a "bank run" but for some reason never followed through on it. I purchased a new metal detector and got back into that around the year 2000 or so, and I never forgot the story about my great uncle. I stumbled across this site looking for a MDing forum and learned that boxes could be ordered. So I decided to give it a go.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I learned about CRHing when I was about 4 years old. My dad would bring back acouple rolls of pennies, and I would look through them. But what really got me hooked was when I found a REALLY beat up 1949 wheatie. I stopped CRHing for about 6 years, but than I decided to search through rolls again. And bam, I found a '43 steelie, which got me hooked again to this day.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
im a hoarder/greedy person, so i would look for change everywhere possible, put it in a tootsie roll bank, fill it up, roll it and do it again...tho i would never much spend the rolls, so one day i decided that i should buy $100$ in quarters, store them away, and not spend them, since change was the only thing i didnt spend...when i got home from the bank i opened up the rolls, and took out any drummer boys, and pre 1970 (i didnt know about silver/and didnt know that 1976 quarters are extremely common), then would store the rest away to save, and pick out any keepers for my collection. (i went thru my pre '70 quarters once to see if i had unknowingly pulled/stored silver, but no luck unfortunately) [i repeated this cycle a few times/when ever i had extra $$$, and wanted to save it, this is what i would do] then, once i was at a starbux (where most gr8 ideas come :laughing7:), and got a wheat in change (not the first time tho), and decided to go to the bank and get i think it was like $8$ in pennies and search them for wheats...then, i found a wheat in MINT condi., that was clipped, and i never stopped since then!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have been interested in coins and treasure hunting from an early age. My father got me into metal detecting as a young child and I used to find old coins throughout my neighborhood growing up. Every once and a while my Dad would take out his coin collection and show it off to my brother and I. He would always give us a collectible coin when he did. I started a collection that grew only a minute amount throughout my youth. When I moved to Spain in 2002 I decided to purchase my own detector. Sadly a only took it out a few times. What a loss. I was not sure if I was using the machine right as I did not find anything of interest. When I moved back to the states in 2005 I decided to give it another go. I did it more out of necessity. I was newly married and needed some me time. We were also strapped for cash, so any spare change I could find came in handy. I found some very interesting items including a 1 karat men's diamond wedding band and the Lion Dollar from 1640 that you see in my Avatar. I got hooked. I started looking for likely places to find treasure and came across Treasurenet back in 06. Back in 07 I found a honey hole as they call it that gave up plenty of silver every time I went including my first walking lib half dollar. After several months of hunting the area I was told by a park ranger that although it is a public park, metal detecting was not allowed. I guess you can say I got spoiled finding all that silver and had to feed the cravings. This led me to Coin roll hunting. Since I started CRHing I think I have picked up the detector maybe 2 times. I know I will go back but in my opinion for the time invested, this hobbie more than pays for itself. I cannot say the same for detecting. Happy Hunting

Golden Silver

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My very first post here on t-net was about how I got started. I copied it below.

Looks like I have been doing this for 4.5 years. (I see where I said it took less than one week to go through one box, boy was I slow)

cyberdan said:
I am very new at CRH (I like that, didn't know what to call it) I live in So CAL and metal detect with an XLT.

One month ago somebody that I know innocently asked me if silver could still be found in loose change. I had never heard of CRH and thought about what he said. I figured that since I never saw Kennedy's any more and I could get them at the bank, odds were pretty good that there might be something. One week ago I went to the bank and asked if they had any rolls and the teller next to me spoke up and said they just got one box in. I didn't know what the box cost but said OK I will take it. I was surprised $500 could weigh so much.

It took me less than a week to go through and now I am hooked.
2 - 90% (one is a 1935 walking liberty)
4 - 40%
3 - BU in the 80s

and 1 plastic token that says "good for 1 drink" at a Shriners lodge that is about 15 miles away. (that roll still had a full $10)

I thought I would be one of the few with my new found hobby till I did a google search.

Well one more person to dilute the silver crop out there, sorry. ;D

I buy mine at one bank where I have my savings account and deposit them at a credit union where I have a different account.

Has any one ever gotten any grief for bringing in a ton of coins? My credit union says I must roll all coins.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions