Nightmare at the Coin Dump

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was heading home from lunch today and decided to dump my $250.00 box of dimes and about $15.00 worth of pennies. Dumped them all and half came back thru the shoot! After the 3rd time of putting them back through a teller came over to assist me. She took the machine apart and worked on it for over 15 minutes! I knew I was going to be late getting back to work but what could I do? After assistance from two other tellers she put the machine back to together and gave me my receipt ... for $28.32! I said wait a second I know I had $250 worth of dimes when I walked through the door. She ran the tape and the one before mine was $228.90 so I got the total of both was 257.22. Thought I had more of course I could be wrong. But will not mix pennies anymore with dimes and just bring in the box of dimes by itself and mix in some quarters. Lesson learned.....again! I just don't think these machines are accurate and sometimes loosing money when finding 1 silver dime.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
TheProf said:
Was heading home from lunch today and decided to dump my $250.00 box of dimes and about $15.00 worth of pennies. Dumped them all and half came back thru the shoot! After the 3rd time of putting them back through a teller came over to assist me. She took the machine apart and worked on it for over 15 minutes! I knew I was going to be late getting back to work but what could I do? After assistance from two other tellers she put the machine back to together and gave me my receipt ... for $28.32! I said wait a second I know I had $250 worth of dimes when I walked through the door. She ran the tape and the one before mine was $228.90 so I got the total of both was 257.22. Thought I had more of course I could be wrong. But will not mix pennies anymore with dimes and just bring in the box of dimes by itself and mix in some quarters. Lesson learned.....again! I just don't think these machines are accurate and sometimes loosing money when finding 1 silver dime.
And that is one of the many reasons why searching dimes is rediculous! Even though I love to...... ffd

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I saw a bucket poured into a coin counter and the sounds was awkward it would stop every few secs to sort, I personally have always only dumped one domination at a time and will continue to do so and try to keep accurate counts of how much i am depositing to not get screwed :icon_thumright:

coinfinder

Aug 15, 2008
I always do one denomination at a time as well. FYI most machines will give you a tally of the number and type of coins. In fact I show the teller what I am putting through the machine before I start. That way if the count shows pennies they can adjust the count. Of course I started doing that after I got shorted 15 bucks :icon_scratch:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen once, it took at least 20 minutes for them to fix. Not only is there a chance the machine could miscount, but it's also embarasing when everyone in the bank is staring at you for thinking you broke the machine. Plus the tellers always seem irritated with you like it's your fault, but it's not.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
never had that hppen too me...and i dump mixed coins alot too...only on a very rare occasion is one of my dimes counted as pennies. maybe my machines are more accurate...i hope @ least :laughing9: , tho i might just b trying to convunce myself of that!

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
DONT BOTHER with only dumping dimes , i tried it it doesnt work. I thought it was the pennies its not , its the machine. I now only dump dimes at certain machines tho i will also keep them seperate just to be safe.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I dumped 4000 halves yesterday into a machine (yes that would be 4 skunk boxes) and in return I got a recipt for for $2,000.

Plus great conversation with my tellers who love it when I come in, as does the manager. I am always pleasant and courtieous and sometimes bring them big fat steamed crabs!

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I think alot of it has to do with how well the machine is maintained and calibrated. I keep a jar full of extra coins at home. Then I replace the ones I keep (silver, foreign, nice looking examples, damaged) with coins from the jar. This way I can tell if the count is off.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5710 said:
I think alot of it has to do with how well the machine is maintained and calibrated. I keep a jar full of extra coins at home. Then I replace the ones I keep (silver, foreign, nice looking examples, damaged) with coins from the jar. This way I can tell if the count is off.
Good idea!

Electronova

Mar 27, 2010
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
I only use machines for pennies. The one I commonly go to always counts 4 or 5 of the pennies as dimes and once and awhile as nickels or quarters. You could say that I get paid to dump my coins ;D

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Piercesdad said:
Plus great conversation with my tellers who love it when I come in, as does the manager. I am always pleasant and courtieous and sometimes bring them big fat steamed crabs!

Wow! PD, you really go overboard, so to speak! You must be loved and welcomed by ALL!!
- Grizz

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always found that dimes are the first denomination to out of calibration and therefore the most likely to be counted wrong.

I've almost never had a problem cashing in pennies, nickels, or quarters, or halves.

One time on nickels (off $10 on like $200 in nickels)...they recounted the bag later and I got my money back.
And a couple of times on halves, but minimum miscounts (just a couple of coins).

Dimes on the other hand, I have had a few times where I have been off by $5 to $10 and I think once was like $25. In all those cases I had the dimes separated and the machine had the right coin count (the rest are almost always counted as pennies). I always run dimes first, and if the count is off by more than $1 or so, I print a separate receipt (self-serve coin machine) before running the rest. Since I frequently get extra dimes when counting pennies, if it's only a few coins I just figure I make it up in the wash and it isn't worth the trouble. I've never demanded I get my money back when off, but I've always gotten it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread