$100,000 Find

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I was just reading the recent issue of the Numismatic News, and the headline on the front page reads the same as the thread title. Here is a CRH'er that searches boxes of cents. He's a bit particular by sorting and rolling the copper keepers by year and mintmark. This guy started in 1998 sorting boxes. Eventually, his hoarding got out of hand and he began returning the coppers to the bank. He had already returned $300-$400 worth when a fellow coin club member asked him if he had any remaining rolls of S mints from '68-'74. The inquisitive coin club member sparked this guy's interest and he began looking up errors and varieties and their worth. He ended up searching through his 1969-S rolls this spring. The fourth coin down in the first roll out of 20, he finds the 1969-S DDO#1. This particular error has only 39 examples graded by the two major grading services (PCGS and NGC). The last one that sold at auction in a similar grade sold for $126,500 in 2008.

Keep searching, you never know what is out there.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quiet DD. I was trying to keep that a secret until I had searched every cent in the U.S. :laughing7:
HH
Gilbert

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, now you are going to make me start going through my bags and boxes of coppers I have stashed over the past year... this isnt good.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Hmmm, now you are going to make me start going through my bags and boxes of coppers I have stashed over the past year... this isnt good.

Same thing as I thought. Except for me, I have 5 gal. buckets.

I still like the karma of the story as the "guy" is a 60 year old disabled Vietnam veteran.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Same thing as I thought. Except for me, I have 5 gal. buckets.

I still like the karma of the story as the "guy" is a 60 year old disabled Vietnam veteran.

Yea that is cool he found it. Bet his wife got sick of his hoarding....I know mine is. :)

SilverGuy

Jul 3, 2010
AGCoinHunter said:

Very true, could you imagine finding $100K in your drawer? :o Or better yet, SPENDING that $100K cent and not knowing it? If it was in circulated condition quite a few people handled the cent and didn't have a clue what was going on :laughing9:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could hit a jackpot coin searching any denomination of coin. Extremely doubtful to find something worth that much, but it happens.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to hear stories like this one. Even more so when it involves a veteran.

apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread