Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been CRHing for about 3 years now and I enjoy every minute of it. I'm not a 'hardcore' CRHer by any stretch of the imagination but I love it just as much as anyone does. Sometimes I just like to lay out all my finds on the table and just look at them. Same thing goes for the gold and silver bullion I have purchased and traded for over the past several years. I look at all the different years on the coins and think about the events that happened during a particular year.

But really I was just wondering if I'm normal or not. Does anyone like to just lay their collection out and look at it every once in a while? Or am I alone in doing this?

-Codes

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
No your not normal and you should seek some serious help. That being said....so should I. LOL. I say if you enjoy it and you are not harming anyone do whatever floats your boat with your collection.

Golden Silver

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I just finished counting my silver halfs and staring at my Silver Eagles, came into this room and read your post. :headbang:

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of "not normal", a while back when I was doing a lot less volume, I used to occasionally sort out the whole box to get the breakdown of all the years/mintmarks... Usually pennies. My original goal was to gather enough data over time to make a mathematical model that could be used to calculate what was left in circulation as well as how it would adjust based upon what part of the country you were in...(at least I never set easy goals for myself, huh? LOL) I am pretty sure I don't have enough data points. But now, using just my keeper coins as a guide, I have some idea of what is still left in circulation... At least as a "guestimate".

At times when I was doing that though, I felt like Scrooge McDuck "counting me money". I still have occasional flashes like that when I am doing a lot of sorting and stacking, but they don't happen too often anymore.

Now if I tried to lay out my whole collection so I could actually see every coin, I would need a lot of space and time... And picking up afterward would be quite the chore as well...

Not counting other denominations, just the approximately 14,000 to 15,000 wheat pennies would be a chore... (all but a few hundred were from CRH)

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I keep my collection in 3 ring binders. I really like looking at the very old ones, although I don't do it often. I like showing them to friends and family and bank tellers. My most favorite coins are my 1860 Seated half (auction) my 1894s Barber half (CRH), my 1901s Barber half (dug), and my 1908 Barber dime AU (dug). And alot of Large cents from ebay.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No your not wierd. I frequently enjoy pouring mine out on the floor in a big pile and rolling around in them. :icon_king:

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
My scores are mostly small, I have a place on my dresser where each week the finds rest to be replaced by the new coins found the following week.An ever changing display.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Although many coins are nicely designed,in fact miniature works of art, I only look at them at the time I aquire them.
I don't see anything wrong though with someone admiring their collection. To each his own.
HH
Rich

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at my collection sometimes.
I like looking at my silver stash too, got a little treasure chest that I'm filling up, it's pretty sweet.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Too much exercise required to "unbury" it, they I would have to set up the hoist to lift it out. Too lazy for that. HH Mark

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I'd say your alone. If was to lay all mine out just "to look at it all" would NOT do it on a table, maybe a sheet or large towel on the floor but then why would I do that- putting it all away again (reburying it) would be quite time consuming and in this record heat wave of 2010 a very sweaty deal too.

/____As you ca see I wear sheets so do not have any to spare to do this anyway.
\

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get many opportunities to look at my stash, as soon as a roll is accumulated, it goes to the safe-deposit at my bank. I still have a three-ring full of my favorites and dug coins. I also have a photo journal of my finds on the pc, although it's still not the same.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
obediah. If you are barying your stuff in yoiur yard I sure would like to metal detect there.

Golden Silver

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I've been collecting coins for years and I have put together a very nice collection. I have carefully logged each coin as to what I paid and the date it was acquired. If I got it CRHing then I note it.
I have them all in the Dansco books and keep them in safe deposit boxes. Once in awhile I bring a few of the books home for a few days and look through them to enjoy what I have accummulated over the years. So, my answer to you is "no", you are enjoying what you have and that's the fun of this hobby.
rileyboy

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
are u alone??? silly ? in my opinion...cuz i look at my collection of a total or 2 coins (j/k), and look at them on a daily basis!
keep it up and hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread