A nice box ONickels! so far.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
A nice box O'Nickels! so far.

First before the show and tell I have a ? for the nickel heads out there, how is it that in the last box and so far in this box I have found almost 4 rolls of 2010 P's but so far in all the boxes I have gone through I have found but one 2009 P, and that was out of the last box before this one!? that just seems odd to me. OK so here is the good part of the post, the other day I was on here grumping about not having found a V nickel yet, and also mentioned it to one of my Friends Friday night, well sure enough today I got one! and it was an end roll find to boot! sucks that I did not notice til I tore the plastic, it would have been nice to have a pic of that one. Also as some bonus eye candy I am posting some pics of a Proof I found a while ago, thanks for reading and looking, enjoy, and any info on the date thing would be good.
101_0760.jpg

101_0763.jpg

101_0774.jpg

101_0777.jpg

Chuck.

Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: A nice box O'Nickels! so far.

2009 nickels are in short supply. I have never found a V nickel, either CRHing or detecting. Let's see now I have to tell that to a friend tomorrow. I'll try to work it into a conversation at work. Then I will come home and finish the box on my desk.

Nice finds, I like finding proofs, they are hard to find.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

I wouldn't say that 2009 nickels are in short supply since 86.64 M of them were minted. They just have yet to make it into the wild. Once the channels run out and start ordering that denomination, they will be found in quantity. If you are curious, so far the 2010 mintage stands at 112.32 M, so there are more being minted this year, but 2009 is not a rarity. If you want to keep tabs on the overall mintages check out the figures straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/coin_production/index.cfm?action=production_figures

Also, some opinions expressed online in forums are made without checking facts. I know in the past that alot of folks were claiming 2009 to be the year of low mintages and that these coins would be worth a fortune. Looking at the real figures I would say that is not correct and anyone who cashed in on the fear was a wise investor. If however you happened to be on the buying end, good luck and you will probably be waiting a long time for any common 2009 coins to worth much more than face value. As always, YMMV and HH all.

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009

Nice hit on the proof and v nickel.Started doing nickels when I could not get halves.Seen very few newer nickels.Have found 3 proofs in the last month,2 from cutomer rolls 1 from box.Nickels always produce.Been averaging 1 buffalo/box,mostly no date lately.HH

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Good finds. I have seen a ton of 2010-P nickels as well, that have already made it through the system once and are now included in typical circulated boxes. They must have been issued pretty early into 2010. I have seen at the most 5 2009-P nickels, and 1 2009-D nickel. I kept one of each for my folder. My guess is that the ones that were released were released elsewhere in the U.S. and have not made the regular rounds up here yet.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find!! :icon_thumright:

Joe

Holmes

Sep 7, 2009
Grand Rapids Michigan

Chuck

I live in Grand Rapids and am having the same issues as you i have 1 2009-P nickel 0 2009-D nickels and i have returned over 5,000 nickels of the 2010Ps i didnt know that there was a Tnet member so close to me hope your not stealin all my silver ;D

HH
~Holmes~

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice find, nickels can be tough