First box of Nickles & a quarter question (with QTR pic)

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
First box of Nickles & a quarter question (with QTR pic)

My half order didn't come in this week so I've been surviving on nickles and dimes today's dimes yielded 2 Rosies and an 80% Canadian. I usually get nickle bags but since I've been hunting them this week, they wre out so I got my 1st box the result of quantity were below my bag average but I did get a 1920 partial date Buffalo and a 43P Silver. What are your experiences? Tried a bad of quarters yesterday and was skuked silver wise (as usual) but did get a Florida quarter that seems to be missing its copper layer. when I first saw it on the side I thought it was Canadian. Has anybody seen these before? I know its not silver cause its a 2004P.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Re: First box of Nickles & a quarter question (with QTR pic)

ronbo22 said:
My half order didn't come in this week so I've been surviving on nickles and dimes today's dimes yielded 2 Rosies and an 80% Canadian. I usually get nickle bags but since I've been hunting them this week, they wre out so I got my 1st box the result of quantity were below my bag average but I did get a 1920 partial date Buffalo and a 43P Silver. What are your experiences? Tried a bad of quarters yesterday and was skuked silver wise (as usual) but did get a Florida quarter that seems to be missing its copper layer. when I first saw it on the side I thought it was Canadian. Has anybody seen these before? I know its not silver cause its a 2004P.

Sometimes rims look like that. Also, it could have been plated by someone. It is too hard to tell by that picture, but I've seen many that have the rim looking like it is silver, and then the other side of the rimshows some copper. Is it that pure all the way around?

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

I have a Conn. state quarter like that and someone posted one similiar to yours 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think it is more of a fluke than anything else. :dontknow:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

ronbo22 said:

I did 2 nickel bags , a half a dozen nickel boxes,and hand rolled. Best results I got were from the boxes. Quarters I have had the best results from bags,but not great,best being 9 keepers.
I have come upon the silver looking quarter,forget what State,it was not plated,nor was it silver.
Nice finds on your nickels and dimes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

OP
OP
ronbo22

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida

jrf30 said:
ronbo22 said:

Sometimes rims look like that. Also, it could have been plated by someone. It is too hard to tell by that picture, but I've seen many that have the rim looking like it is silver, and then the other side of the rimshows some copper. Is it that pure all the way around?

Yes it is consistent color all around with no trace of copper. It definitely was not plated or painted as the original color is still there.

OP
OP
ronbo22

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida

dave5710 said:
I have a Conn. state quarter like that and someone posted one similiar to yours 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think it is more of a fluke than anything else. :dontknow:

My question is, does a fluke equal a valuable mint error?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just because the copper is not showing does not mean it is not there.

I've had a few of those "teaser" rims before. I just throw 'em in the dump pile to let the next guy have just as much fun with 'em. ;D

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

That's not a big deal.. weigh it see if it weighs about the same as others. Halves, Quarters, or Dimes that are missing their nickel coating or has only partial coating is worth something.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

a while back i got a montana state quart. like that...wasnt silver tho. :dontknow:
keep it up and hh~!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread