silver proof dime!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i did a couple of boxes of dimes today, just to mix things up, i dont often post my finds, but this was pretty awesome, so i thought i would.
was almost done with the first box, when one of the last rolls had a thick silver colored edge, so i thought to myself "its way to thick and shiny to be american, so cool, a silver foreign coin", i pull it out and found my first proof dimes, and also my first silver proof coin in general from crh'ing! it was awesome! do u guys get these things on a regular basis??? ive never gotten one till now, so i am just curious, thanks.
FINDS:
box #1-
1x2003-S silver proof dime
1xcanadian
3x2009 dimes
box #2-
1xfive pence coin
1xdime with a hole in it (why...i couldnt tell u) :laughing9:
1xdime with a cud
2x2010-p dimes (i needed this one for my folder, so ill keep the best, and throw the other back)
1xdime that was struck through grease
and yes, i had extra time, and had already searched by the rim, so out of boardum, i date checked, and it took for ever to see those tiny dates :laughing9:

thanks for looking, and hh!
PS cell phone pic...enough said.

Attachments

• 0805000016.jpg
    0805000016.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While I don't have a complete understanding of how the mint separates the machines that make proofs from the ones making ordinary coinage, I would reasonably expect that at some point one would filter into the other.... and since most proofs are in sealed packages and are inspected... that would explain why few (if any) business strikes wind up in mint sealed proof sets.

You've got a pretty dime tho :icon_thumleft:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, I don't recall seeing a silver S proof dime found on this forum in a long time!

ffd

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nate75402 said:
While I don't have a complete understanding of how the mint separates the machines that make proofs from the ones making ordinary coinage...

They use different mints. Philly and Denver strike the business strikes while San Francisco strikes the proofs.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I got one a couple years ago. It is very rare to find one in a box - nice find. I found quite a few silver proof halves so it is likely the whole sets get spent at the same time. Dimes circulate so much more that they must quickly get pulled.

Maine_Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
CHAINCHOMP said:
i did a couple of boxes of dimes today, just to mix things up, i dont often post my finds, but this was pretty awesome, so i thought i would.
was almost done with the first box, when one of the last rolls had a thick silver colored edge, so i thought to myself "its way to thick and shiny to be american, so cool, a silver foreign coin", i pull it out and found my first proof dimes, and also my first silver proof coin in general from crh'ing! it was awesome! do u guys get these things on a regular basis??? ive never gotten one till now, so i am just curious, thanks.
FINDS:
box #1-
1x2003-S silver proof dime
1xcanadian
3x2009 dimes
box #2-
1xfive pence coin
1xdime with a hole in it (why...i couldnt tell u) :laughing9:
1xdime with a cud
2x2010-p dimes (i needed this one for my folder, so ill keep the best, and throw the other back)
1xdime that was struck through grease
and yes, i had extra time, and had already searched by the rim, so out of boardum, i date checked, and it took for ever to see those tiny dates :laughing9:

thanks for looking, and hh!
PS cell phone pic...enough said.

Nice find.

I;ve found one proof dime. But it was not silver. Most proof dimes are not silver. Just some are.

yes, you've found a prety rare thing. good job! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread