starting over

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
It has been about a month and a half sense I stopped doing boxes and Posting, I just have not had much to say. I stopped doing boxes but started doing road trips about once a week they have been fun and productive. My best day ever was a week ago Friday, 23 with 6 64"s and a ben.
My wife has been asking what we were saving the silver for and this week something came up needed some fast cash so I sold most of the pile. 133 40$ for $2.00 each and 21 90% for 12.2x face.
Kept the the barber, 3 Bens and 2 64 for seed. thought I was going to layoff for a wile but on Thursday someone went yo my son's gas station (he just works there) and bought 3.05 in gas, they used an ike and an 1878 Morgan. In is in very, very good shape.
That stirred up the addiction, so yesterday I hit a few banks only 2 or 3 I had never been in before. 5 40% and 2 bens.

One thing I learned about road trips. you can not take too much green. If you have 800. the first bank will have 250 in rolls the next one will have 200 but the next one will have 700 and those will be the ones with the most silver. So now you will be coming back that 100 miles next week. Oh also when you get those remaining rolls only 1 or 2 will have any silver.

Thank you all for your post it helps lighten the day. And it is good to see how well every one is doing.

Papa

Upvote 0

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
If those remaining rolls are even there when you get back.

Sorry to hear about your pile, but I think it is a better choice than paying interest on a loan. Selling 40%ers, doesn't bother me, but selling 90%ers might.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sounds like some nice road trips. Sorry to hear about the stash getting sold, but we do what we have to do. Like Dave said, better than paying interest on a loan.

It would be interesting if all road trippers would chime in with what in their experience is the best days for road trips. Kind of like a science behind road trips. In my experience, the beginning of the month is the worst as the seniors are flush with cash from the SS checks. But by the end of the month, they might have to rely on the sock drawer fund to tie them over. Also, the beginning of the week is better than the end.

Good luck.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
favored papa said:
One thing I learned about road trips. you can not take too much green. If you have 800. the first bank will have 250 in rolls the next one will have 200 but the next one will have 700 and those will be the ones with the most silver. So now you will be coming back that 100 miles next week.

Papa

Just a thought, and something I have done before, and that is, use the ATM to get more money. It might cost a small fee but it's a small price to pay for a potential windfall and saves you a trip and gives you peace of mind.

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Nice score ! Road trips can be very lucrative, and are much better than doing boxes. Good luck on your future trips.
Rich

OP
OP
F

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Thank you all for the kind words.

As to cost for road trips, I was thinking about that too. As for me a 250 mile trip is only about $25.00 in gas, so 10 to 15 keepers and I am in the win zone. I don't count the cost of a meal because you have to eat where ever you are.

I love the little country banks that only have 4 coins but one is silver.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
back when i was road trippin every week i would take 1K and i would mapquest the coinstars out in case i had to dump some clad along the way. also made note of the few free or fee macines in the banks. you guys with an abundance of machines are lucky. only one bank (with 9 branches) in this area has them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread