Introduction, $200 Half Dollar Search from Last Weekend

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
Hi. I've lurked here off and on the past few years, and I finally decided to post after a quite successful coin roll search last weekend. I am not new to coin roll searching. While in my teens back in the 1970s, I used to go through mainly pennies and nickels, but sometimes dimes and quarters. I probably went through $100 every month. I would bring the rolled coins into a bank and trade them for other rolled coins (dumping made easy). There was a penny shortage back then, and most banks were paying a 5% premium on pennies, so there was a lot of drooling when I brought in my bags of pennies to exchange for other pennies. Those were the days. Every roll had a few wheat pennies in it, and I saved them all. I found a semi-key or two, and one Indian Head, but never, any of the keys. Silver nickels were plentiful, and I found all the Jefferson nickels in circulation except the 1950D. I remember also finding on average one silver dime per roll. I had very little time to coin roll search once in college, and even less with a job, a wife, kids, etc., after college.

Fast forward to today. Every week or two for the past couple of years, I stop by the bank and pick up $100 or so of coins to search through. Part of this was spurred by some of the posts I have read here. About a month ago, I was at a bank doing so where I was able to see the teller's coin tray out on the counter. There were scallops in the coin tray so that the coins were all stored on edge. I immediately spotted a silver coin in the small quantity of half dollars. I bought the 19 halves for face value, and when I left the bank, I discovered I had a 1964 which is 90% silver! This past weekend I stopped at a bank on my way home on Friday. I asked for any large dollar coins (about 10% of the time I get an Eisenhower; maybe I'll get lucky and some day get a silver Morgan or Peace). They didn't have any. I then asked for half dollars. The teller told me they had $200 worth of halves. He then told me how some guy brought in a bunch of halves a few weeks ago with a bunch of silver in them. I groaned internally and told him I would take $100. He told me I could come back for the second $100 on Saturday if I liked. The halves were all hand rolled. I opened one of the rolls at a red light as I was driving home. There was no silver, but all of the halves were before 1979. I told myself that that was promising. When I got home, I started going through all the rolls. Every roll except the first I opened had at least one 40% silver half from 1965 to 1969, and none newer than 1978! One roll had 14 40% silver halves! In the end, I found 29 40% silver halves. Not bad! Needless to say, I was waiting in line at the bank on Saturday morning when they opened. I bought the other $100 of halves. They were in the same type of wrappers as the first. Great! I was shocked at the quantity of 40% silver halves I found. By roll, the totals were: 9, 1, 12, 11, 14, 19, 10, 16, 13, and 12. In addition, there was a 90% 1964 in one of the rolls. The sum total in the $200 was 146 40% silver halves, and 1 90% silver half, all purchased for face value! What a haul! Hopefully the images load.

Attachments

• crh 1.jpg
    crh 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 424
  • crh 2.jpg
    crh 2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Welcome and a what a great find to start off with keep up the hunt . RON

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Nice score, Sitman, By looking at the nice pix, I would say you have a lot of very nice coins. Especially the 1965 and 1966's. Keep all the mint state ones for your collection. The edges even looked beautiful. Congratulations on a nice find.
rileyboy

OP
OP
sitman

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
Thanks for the welcoming comments.

I forgot to mention that the first photograph was of the first $100 I searched, and the second photograph was of the second $100. Piles are by date. The number of uncirculated half dollars in the second $100 was phenomenal. And it wasn't just the silver; many of the clad were likewise uncirculated, including several bicentennial.

The bank from which I obtained the coins is a larger BoA branch in a neighborhood of mainly 1950s houses, although there are houses back to the 1920s sprinkled among them and in larger quantities a few blocks away. In my opinion it is a neighborhood where elderly residents' possessions for one reason or another are being liquidated by people not familiar with coins. I did talk for a few minutes with the teller who gave me the first $100, and he was knowledgeable about silver half dollars. The next time I see him, I will see if he is willing to take my business card and call me if more hand wrapped half dollars appear.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes... That makes me even more glad to be home. Tomorrow the hunt begins.
Nice find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread