"Information" posting for all

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
"Information" posting for all

Went to a coin show in my area this weekend and thought I'd let you know what was going on. Many of the dealers at the show were all buying up silver, both 90%ers and 40%ers. Seemed that all of them wanted as much as they could get. I walked around and searched out the prices they were offering. Most were offering between $46 to $48 per roll of 40%ers. I found one dealler that was paying $50 per roll (that's $2.50 per coin). Since it was Saturday and the banks close early, I left the show and went to my bank to get a bunch of rolls from my "nearly full" safety Deposit boxes. Went back to the show and sold him the rolls. No hassles. I then went over to a dealer that had rolls of gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous, Unc. 1964 and 1964-D Kennedy's. These coins had never been touched. I purchased a roll of 1964-D's and two rolls of 1964's at a great price because he was selling them on consignment. Got rid of a lot of cruddy 40%ers that were taking up room, and got back in the game with three rolls of beautiful 90%ers. In talking with these dealers, I learned that taking your 40%ers to a single coin shop or dealer you aren't going to get top prices. They all said to bring them to coin shows and shop around because many of the dealers come from other states and need them to bring back to their areas. Some of them told me that silver could go up due to China now allowing it's citizens to own precious metal, so many of them are buying to see what happens. Anyway, the price of silver was up, so I unloaded the 40%ers at a nice profit and upgraded to some 90%ers. Also created room to start a new CRHing "pile". Ha! Had plenty of money left over to buy some great other coins for my collection (and help pay for the new garage doors I just put on my house). The bottom line is: If you need or want to sell any of your silver, especially 40%ers, take them to coin shows, not individual dealers. I realize many of you live in areas that may not have a periodic coin show closeby, but it may be worth it to "road trip" to one. One last comment. If you go to a show to sell your silver, get there early, because some of these dealers only buy "so much" and then they have enough. If you go to buy coins for your collection, buy them near the end of the show when dealers will give you a better price as they want to unload some of their inventory. Hope this info helps you all out there.
rileyboy

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Re: "Information" posting for all

Very good info. I'm going to look around for coin shows in my area.
HH
Rich

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

"Pierce's Dad" asked in another section of TNet, but I'll share my response here. Subscribe to Numismatic News. Besides the excellent articles, it includes a state by state listing of coming shows. It is published weekly.

Also, it might be worth a seller's time to drive to some out of the way shows as they can be larger than local shows. One show occurs here in Florida every year. It is called FUN. Last year, there was over 680 dealers on the bourse floor.

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009

Rich Hartford said:
Very good info. I'm going to look around for coin shows in my area.
HH
Rich

Rich,
There was one in Boston this past weekend. When I was there I saw a flyer about one in Conn. I think it was for Sept-October time frame.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sounds like you did good. I might unload some of my 40% for some 90%, its a good idea.

OP
OP
R

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Timbobwey,
Trading in some 40%ers for some very nice 90%ers is a good idea.
rileyboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread