CRH Statistics workbook

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
I created an excel workbook to track my statistics of what coins I receive while "hunting". This workbook has sheets for each US coin (pennies up to halves). I thought it would be a good way to track which years and mint show up the most. Within each sheet I have the number minted and proofs minted (thanks to coincommunity.com). I also have a section for notes so that I may add things I may want to look out for (errors and what not). I also have this program keeping track of how much silver and copper worth I have within the coins I find.

What I would like to know is would anyone wanting to use it?

If enough people want it I will post a link to download the spreadsheet workbook. I think if enough people around use this we can all start posting into a thread and see across the nation what years are being found the most and in what region! Granted this program may go more indepth because I have all coins broken down into year and mint (even ones that will not be found, but you never know!).

Attachments

• screen shot 1.JPG
    screen shot 1.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 359
  • screen shot 2.JPG
    screen shot 2.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 326
  • screen shot 3.JPG
    screen shot 3.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, that's a lot of work. I hope you are rewarded for your time and efforts. There is some great info in your chart. JP

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a spread sheet for a couple years, I've got some neat statistics, down to individual banks. However, I find such statistics skewed by the fact that I lost months of data and large scores will often inflate averages. But if you are willing to do the work, you can get some excellent statistics. I know Gman has a master sheet of statistics. In some of the older End of the Year posts you can find some of his statistics, they are interesting to read up on. I have statistics if you go back to my posts on this forum. Good luck with your project!

HH
-GC

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Man I can't tell you how many times I started thinking about doing something like that.

But at the end of the day it's a ton of work. It's hard enough keeping up with the tons of searching that I do. This would just add to already time consuming hobby. If that is what you like to do, I say it's a great thing if you enjoy it. But when it becomes more like work , drop it.

Maybe you can set a time limit and do it for 3,6 or 12 months and report you results to us. G Man and others are tedious stat keepers and seem to love reporting them to us. And we love it.

So I say go for it. I now just track my end of month totals and don't sweat the ratios of finds to coins searched. I got standing orders and do road trips on occasion, I am much more satisfied with seeing my totals than seeing how much time I wasted looking for them... lol

Mojo

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldencoin said:
I've had a spread sheet for a couple years, I've got some neat statistics, down to individual banks. However, I find such statistics skewed by the fact that I lost months of data and large scores will often inflate averages. But if you are willing to do the work, you can get some excellent statistics. I know Gman has a master sheet of statistics. In some of the older End of the Year posts you can find some of his statistics, they are interesting to read up on. I have statistics if you go back to my posts on this forum. Good luck with your project!

HH
-GC

I haven't been keeping up with reading all the posts and keeping a running tally for the site as whole since last fall as the number of posts became too much for me to keep up with last year... Or maybe I am just too busy otherwise... Whatever the cause, I do still keep tracking sheets for my own coins that list all the same coins with other statistics from those in the above sheets.

I have a few different tracking sheets I use, but my tracking sheets are more about how complete is my collection and what percentage of any particular series were found instead of what percentage of coins searched were of a particular mintmark though with just a little math that is easy enough to find out. Copper/Silver value from a tracking standpoint isn't really a big deal to me so that isn't in any of my sheets, but it is easy enough to add if someone wanted to.

My sheets are:
1) Tracking my collection as a whole (what's in it on a series, date, and mintmark basis...even the common errors).
2) Tracking my searches. How many coins found of different varieties per volume (roll, box, etc).
3) Tracking what percentage of coins minted have I found since January 1 of the current year (just looking for 1 of each).
4) Tracking how many of each different coin minted I have found since January 1 of the current year.
5) Tracking what percentage of coins minted have I found from CRH in my lifetime (just looking for 1 of each).

I have done a number of other worksheets for various curiousities over time such as ones to calculate how many wheat pennies are left in circulation, etc, but the ones listed above are the ones I use all the time.

Note: My sheets include US and Canadian coins (though not a perfect list of Canadian) as I live somewhat close to the Canadian border and find a lot of them. And my collection sheet as a whole also includes US currency.

I have offered to send them in the past to anyone that wants them, but to do so requires an outside email address. Just send me a message.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post. Hope you don't mind, it just happened to be on the same topic.

As a separate note, I'd be curious to see your spreadsheet if you post a link to it eventhough I'm not likely to switch due to the time I have already invested in creating ones that suit my needs.

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Awesome. I will get it up on the web here in the near future. I will have what my first rolls under each coin stats are also. I am just a numbers geek and with what information i have inputted into here i was going to make spin offs of this workbook and keep track of my keepers, as well as possibly :icon_sunny: making other formulas to check different statistics. This may take a week because my plans for this weekend were to work on my rolls that i have semi sorted, but family first and off to bama i go.. maybe i will grab a few rolls from there????

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
goldencoin said:

HH
-GC

I haven't been keeping up with reading all the posts and keeping a running tally for the site as whole since last fall as the number of posts became too much for me to keep up with last year... Or maybe I am just too busy otherwise... Whatever the cause, I do still keep tracking sheets for my own coins that list all the same coins with other statistics from those in the above sheets.

I have a few different tracking sheets I use, but my tracking sheets are more about how complete is my collection and what percentage of any particular series were found instead of what percentage of coins searched were of a particular mintmark though with just a little math that is easy enough to find out. Copper/Silver value from a tracking standpoint isn't really a big deal to me so that isn't in any of my sheets, but it is easy enough to add if someone wanted to.

My sheets are:
1) Tracking my collection as a whole (what's in it on a series, date, and mintmark basis...even the common errors).
2) Tracking my searches. How many coins found of different varieties per volume (roll, box, etc).
3) Tracking what percentage of coins minted have I found since January 1 of the current year (just looking for 1 of each).
4) Tracking how many of each different coin minted I have found since January 1 of the current year.
5) Tracking what percentage of coins minted have I found from CRH in my lifetime (just looking for 1 of each).

I have done a number of other worksheets for various curiousities over time such as ones to calculate how many wheat pennies are left in circulation, etc, but the ones listed above are the ones I use all the time.

Note: My sheets include US and Canadian coins (though not a perfect list of Canadian) as I live somewhat close to the Canadian border and find a lot of them. And my collection sheet as a whole also includes US currency.

I have offered to send them in the past to anyone that wants them, but to do so requires an outside email address. Just send me a message.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post. Hope you don't mind, it just happened to be on the same topic.

As a separate note, I'd be curious to see your spreadsheet if you post a link to it eventhough I'm not likely to switch due to the time I have already invested in creating ones that suit my needs.

Yep, I have several sheets, I've got search specific info on each set of coins I get, which include amount, type of wrapper (bag, hand, fed) and location of bank. I also have sheets dedicated to quantifying the date and mint of keepers in my safety deposit box, all of which include canadian and foreign (although I don't keep track of how complete that collection is, but I do ascribe each coin to its pick up bank. But it is a lot of work and I have yet to make it useful in relation to pick up banks, such as which one has the highest rates of keepers.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Currio us if the link worked for everyone that has tried it out. Also wondering how you think it is. What are some improvements on they system I could do?

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California
werleibr said:
Currio us if the link worked for everyone that has tried it out. Also wondering how you think it is. What are some improvements on they system I could do?

Sorry, we are unable to scan this file for viruses.

We are experiencing technical difficulties. Download anyway

I'm unable to download it.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
My worksheet tracks by month, how much I find and how much I search by denomination. I have a comments section for better finds.

a few notes...

- make sure you save a copy on a separate hard drive. I lost 9 months of work when my comp crashed.

- no spreadsheet anyone does can take into account melted coins!

Good luck and good work.

~phrostie

OP
OP
werleibr

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Thanks for the input. I am one who belives in open source projects if you are paid during the creation, or if it is something that can be useful to someone else to modify. I plan on making possible adjustments in the future, but that will come when i can do more CRH. It has taken a side bar for a little while :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions