After 3 years I Finally Got My Stone Mountain - and Another (Updated)

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
I have been hitting half's hard for 3 years and have found what I consider a nice mix of non-ordinary finds, including 5 90% silver commemoratives (including 2 1893 Columbian Expo's), and 5 or 6 types of clad commemoratives, but have had my heart set on finding a Stone Mountain Comm. Well I finally got one in last week's boxes along with my 6th 1970.

Boxes have been very good in general last 2 weeks with 83 40's, 14 90% Kens, 4 Bens, and 1 WL, out of 8 boxes, but the SMC was the big daddy for me.

With all of the SMC's showing up on the forum lately, I'm betting someone dumped a roll or a collection a little while back. I think I've seen 4 or 5 the last couple of months, and they aren't that common.

Also posting a couple of foreign 90%'s I've found that I think are pretty cool for eye candy.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

I got my second one in 6 months...guess I'll shoot for a rarer comm. now. New pictures added at bottom.

HH
CD

Attachments

• August SM and 70S1.jpg
    August SM and 70S1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,001
  • August SM and 70S2.jpg
    August SM and 70S2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • August 2010 SM and 70S3.jpg
    August 2010 SM and 70S3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 994
  • August 2010 Panama1.jpg
    August 2010 Panama1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 997
  • August 2010 Panama2.jpg
    August 2010 Panama2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 999
  • August 2010 Colum1.jpg
    August 2010 Colum1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 990
  • August 2010 Colum2.jpg
    August 2010 Colum2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 995
Upvote 0

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: After 3 years I Finally Got My Stone Mountain

Nice score...I'm still searching for mine. I know there's one waiting for me. :laughing7:

Joad

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Captaindoodle,
That's a great score. The Stone Mountain is in great condition. The other coins are nice as well.
I got a stone mountain in a roll earlier this month. So did some others on this forum. Must be the month for Stone Mountains. Great pix, too.
Congrats
rileyboy

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice score!! Your SMC is in great shape. I found one last year but it was worn.

Is that Columbia 50 cents the same size as Kennedy half?

OP
OP
Captaindoodle

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008

Yinzi50 said:
Nice score!! Your SMC is in great shape. I found one last year but it was worn.

Is that Columbia 50 cents the same size as Kennedy half?

Yes, both the Columbian and the Balboa are the same diameter as a Ken. Because of both of them being pretty old, and 90%'s, I thought they were a Walker or Ben when I was edge scanning...they had that "old silver look". I've thrown a number of clad Balboa's back, but thought enough of this silver one to make it my avatar. I like that it says 90% pure 12.5 Grams.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the club.

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice score and the boxes are treating you good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice, that one is still on my wish list. :icon_thumleft:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Captaindoodle said:
With all of the SMC's showing up on the forum lately, I'm betting someone dumped a roll or a collection a little while back. I think I've seen 4 or 5 the last couple of months, and they aren't that common.

Very nice finds there Capt. And foreign silver is always a nice bonus find.

To be clear though, in the world of commemoratives, the Stone Mountain variety is one of the more common (high mintage).

http://www.coinfacts.com/commemoratives/half_dollar_commems/stone_mountain.htm

A very nice find, to be sure, but among the most common.

Kudos.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

nice rare finds, i wouldn't mind one or my 2nd 1970

OP
OP
Captaindoodle

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008

To be clear though, in the world of commemoratives, the Stone Mountain variety is one of the more common (high mintage).

Kudos.

[/quote]

I agree with 1.3MM put into circulation, it's not rare compared to some of the old 90% comm. half dollars from the 20's and 30's with mintages in the 4 and 5 figures, but I never expect to find one of those...however, with less than half the 55 Ben production, and less than a third of the combined 70s&d mintage...it's not a common find out of a box of halves. I didn't mean to mislead any newbies who find one into to thinking it would be comparable to finding an 1935 Old Spanish Trail (10,000ish) or 1928 Hawaiian Sesquicentennial (10,000ish) or the 1936 Cincinnati Music Center (5,005)...just saying they aren't that common to find.

HH
CD

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captaindoodle said:

Kudos.

I agree with 1.3MM put into circulation, it's not rare compared to some of the old 90% comm. half dollars from the 20's and 30's with mintages in the 4 and 5 figures, but I never expect to find one of those...however, with less than half the 55 Ben production, and less than a third of the combined 70s&d mintage...it's not a common find out of a box of halves. I didn't mean to mislead any newbies who find one into to thinking it would be comparable to finding an 1935 Old Spanish Trail (10,000ish) or 1928 Hawaiian Sesquicentennial (10,000ish) or the 1936 Cincinnati Music Center (5,005)...just saying they aren't that common to find.

HH
CD

Wait till you find 2 of them in back to back weeks. Yes they are not rare, but in comparison to mintage of any of the general circulated halves of their time, they are few and far between. Beautiful coin that I now have 4 of.

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Send the Stone Mountains South. They are very popular down here, especially as prizes at Detecting Hunts and can sell for a premium. I have a few and I think the cheapest was $35. Would love to find one as I collect older commemerative halves.

sensesfailed069

Jul 18, 2010

I absolutely love the look of the Stone Mountain. Its right up there with the Buffalo Nickels in terms of favorite looking coins. Congrats on the great find.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Wow and nice work! that would have caused some woohooing around here, that stone mountain is really sweet, I would freak if I found one, I mean literally squeal like a little girl, that is cool guy! and the other 2 are awesome as well, like you said the content being spelled out on the one is neat. HH! and again nice work.

Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread