its been awhile.....

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
....since i've hit any of my many banks in my area due to a severe decrease in finding halves. but the other day i found myself some free time and decided to hit a string of banks to test the waters. i was finding a few here and there and managed to get one 40%er out of $20 bucks or so. then i came to one of the newer banks that popped up in this area. i wasn't hoping for anything as they never had anything the other times i hit this bank. so i was surprised when i got a couple from one teller and another said " i have some rolls" so i walked over and he said "how many" of course i said "all of them". he said " i have 4 rolls" then he starteds reading off the wrappers as he is pulling them from the drawer. 1969, 1967, 1968...????" in my head i was wondering why he didn't say anything about the 4th roll. got back to the car and sure enough they were labeled exactly with what they said they were. 3 full rolls of $40%ers :hello2: the reason he didn't mention #4? he couldn't read it and niether could i....it said BICENT in very bad handwriting. and sure enough it was a full roll of bicentenials. needless to say they went to the dump bank where i got a handfull of pennies and dimes out of the reject chute along with two 5 pence. not bad for an hour of work. i'll take days like this anytime.

Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Nice score for sure! Full rolls is what gets people hooked on hunting and what keeps you addicted to it.

Nice finds. It never hurts to hit a couple banks once in a while just to check.

-bigJ

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
it just goes to show that given enough time the banks do recharge themselves. however i didn't mention that waiting so long cost me some coins that i could have searched. a few of these banks told me they "just gave them out yesterday" or "i sold all my customer rolls last week" still i don't understand because those banks were right in the middle of several other banks that had coins to search and a load of silver at a bank right up the street. so maybe these guys who beat me to the coins were needing them for something else. why else would they only hit a bank or two and not all of them?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Some banks are pretty nasty to people who don't have an account there and ask for "weird" coins, especially if it means a trip to the vault so many people will only search banks that they have an account with unless they are on a road trip.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
it just goes to show that given enough time the banks do recharge themselves. however i didn't mention that waiting so long cost me some coins that i could have searched. a few of these banks told me they "just gave them out yesterday" or "i sold all my customer rolls last week" still i don't understand because those banks were right in the middle of several other banks that had coins to search and a load of silver at a bank right up the street. so maybe these guys who beat me to the coins were needing them for something else. why else would they only hit a bank or two and not all of them?

This happened to me on a road trip last week. While visiting an out of town bank, the teller didn't have any halves, but said that she had been to another branch in the next town (in the direction I was heading anyway) and that they had several hundred dollars worth when she was there. She even offered to call the branch and have them hold them for me until I got there. She makes the call, but of course someone had bought them all earlier in the day. I was heading that way anyway, and knew the town had 1 more bank. The other bank had $90, all handrolls that produced 7 40%ers. The teller was really glad to be rid of them and said she had them "for a long time." A couple of the rolls were dated 6/10/09. This bank was NEXT DOOR to the bank that had just sold several hundred dollars worth a few hours earlier.

My theory: There are several people now searching half dollars, but they just aren't nearly as dedicated as most of the members of this forum. I suspect they ask for halves at their bank - where they cash/deposit their weekly paycheck and/or do their normal banking business, but do not do any traveling to other banks/branches/towns in searching for silver.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tellers don't work everyday. Most of them have a private safe, which can't be accessed when they are gone. Many times I've been told "so and so has some , but she's off today." Luck of the draw1

Joad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions