Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy fellow CRHers,

I finally got to do a little hunting over the past couple of days, and it is with great sadness that must say that CRHing for halves is about done for in my area. Several of the banks that I got machine bags from last year said that they don't do that anymore. :(

Someone recently mentioned that more and more tellers are wise to our ways and are cherry-picking the silver, and that is certainly true now in my area. Numerous tellers asked if I was looking for silver ones. I gave them my usual response about filling a book and needing 1987s and 1970s, or needing them for a poker game. I had one teller today say, "if you're looking for silver, don't bother. We get that for ourselves." The other teller said they they got dibs. At another bank, I asked for halves, and the teller wanted to know how much I was looking for. I said a couple of hundred and he asked if I was looking for silver. I said, "no, I need some for a poker game." He said that he could order me a box, but they're $500. He gave me and everyone in the lobby a course on Coin Roll Hunting 101 and said that they have several customers that buy several boxes, search for the silver ones and bring the rest back, that way, they're not losing any money. I didn't even ask about their coin machine. Poor thing is probably on it's last legs. Boxes here have always sucked.

I bought two boxes of nickels over the past two days to console myself. Hope I get a buff.

May do some chainsaw work if the nickels are a bust. That always cheers me up. chainsawguy.gif

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Attachments

• chainsawguy.gif
    chainsawguy.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Everyone is hunting silver now! It's hard to get your hands on rolls now. Unless your ordering them In boxes.

-bigJ

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding halves wasn't the problem. I bought over $1,400 in the banks I visited, and got 10 40%ers.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
When this happens take a few weeks off and then start over. Gives people chances to cash in their collections. Happens here where I am too, but I'm fortunate enough to live in a large metro area that has tons of banks and tons of people. The high prices of silver and gold is now common knowledge to ordinary people, so they take their collections to coin dealers etc. rather than just to a bank. BUT.....there are still lazy people out there that don't want to be bothered and just go to banks. I have found that when pickin's get slim, it's not the time to simply quit CRHing. You never know! You go out on a short road trip and up jumps the mother lode you have been dreaming about. Happens to me a lot. Hang in there.
rileyboy

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
try dimes? lots of them?

yea tellers no the bags are the good stuff... i think they have a pizza party and search the bag. when i was at dump bank today guys were going crazy how they snag the silver up right away...

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Kantuckkeean said:
Finding halves wasn't the problem. I bought over $1,400 in the banks I visited, and got 10 40%ers.

Then you can't say that your area is dry yet.

Hey, for a YEAR I've been running 10 skunk boxes for every one box with ONE silver in it. So I get 1 silver in ... $5,500 searched. You got TEN (10) in only $1,400 searched? GOOD JOB. :-)

It takes me $55,000 to find ten silvers in boxes. Versus your $1,400.

Now tell me that you feel it is dry out there. :-)

(It's a good thing I am looking at a LOT of dimes, quarters and nickels, plus my steady supply of cents. BUt halves truly give me one silver per 11 boxes. Yes, it can get a LOT worse than what you are seeing now.)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah, it's gotten really dry here too.. I don't write about results often but last 4 boxes are skunks :(

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I bet ive gotten 300 to 400 keepers this year from tellers who say they have already been picked through.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pretty much given up on halves in my area for the same reasons. There are tons of CRH's in my area and all of the tellers are cherry picking. I'm lucky to get 1 40% in a box. And I mean REALLY lucky. It just isn't worth my time. I still get the occasional customer wrapped roll and I still peek into the teller trays. But the scores from those techniques are fairly rare. The only reason I still bother to even do THAT is because it takes very little effort so I figure it is worth it on the off chance of a big score. Heck, I've been getting more silver in my change recently than I do from CRH'ing. I've gotten two quarters and one dime just in the past month in change. But I haven't gotten a single silver half from CRH'ing during the past month.

I'll try again in a few more months. Until then, I'll stick to doing pennies. I'm pretty much guaranteed of getting 25% copper and a few wheats per box. It's not nearly as sexy as silver but I do at least turn a marginal profit from it. And dumping is a heck of a lot easier. :wink:

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
That's happened in my area and I switched to dimes for a couple of months, then went back to boxes. Boxes are your best bet when tellers start to "wise up", but if they are cherry picking on the front end you basically have no chance. Dimes are always a nice respite and remind me that silver is actually out there!!!

Side rant - I hate it when the tellers think they know everything about silver - when they start to lecture me, my conversation goes something like this - "So are you really a coin collector? I can't believe how many tellers miss out on the good stuff by only looking for the silver ones. I've found halves that are worth hundreds that are not silver...tellers miss 'em ALL the time...silver surfing is kid's play when it comes to collecting."

Pretty much shuts 'em up on the spot...

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kantuck,
Silver is thin here to. Last 2 bags skunks and the road trips are a killer..I hope you do good on those nickels let me know.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread