How many silver halves make a ounce?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
there are 12 troy ounces per pound and the silver content on a dollar in uncirculated 90% halfs is 72%. This is for US 900 fine silver. Conversion factor for 40% halfs should be 32%. Conversion factor for 80% canada coins would then be 64%. Rule of thumb would be three silver 90% makes a little more than a full ounce of silver. exanimo, ss

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
To figure what the X face factor is for 90% silver is take the spot and multiply it by .723. Example 12.91 X .723 = 9.333, thus a silver half should be worth $4.50 or thereabouts.
40%'ers is 12.91 X .28 = 3.62 thus a 40% half is worth about $1.88.

Of course I didn't do real well in math way back in high school. LOL

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, based off of the numbers in the above post, it takes 3 - 90 % halves to make a full ounce of silver and 7 - 40% halves to to make a full ounce. Youd have a little more than an ounce of silver on either one but thats what youd need to have at least an ounce of silver. Am I figuring this right?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nathan, I think you followed it pretty well. To get the X face value, I am basing it on what a $1 of silver (90%) weighs.

The act establishing the silver dollar (Coinage Act of 1840, I think) established the content of a "dollar" to be about .72 ounces of silver.

A dime would have 1/10 of that, a quarter 1/4 of that, half dollars 1/2 of that, etc. so as far as silver content, the denomination doesn't matter. No matter what combination of coins you have, if it's a dollar face value, it will be about .72 ounces of silver.

If you look in any Red Book, under dime, qtr., half, etc. it will give the silver content of the denomination. For 40% halves, take the silver weight of it and multiply it X 2 to get the $1 value. Each one is about .14 thus the .28 figure.

Remember also that the phrase "one thin dime" has meaning as well. If it is worn down, then the weight is off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread