Silver Quarters???

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
I have thought about searching quarters but I know they are so scarce and hard to find, i just dont want to waste my time and effort. 50 cent pieces in customer rolls are almost impossible to find here, and boxes are silver free.

Just wanted to hear if anyone out there has been searching quarters, and what you have found.
Also wondering whether people find silver in brinks/loomis rolls or in customer rolls more.

-bigJ

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
it takes a brave man to search quarters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have several big problems with quarters. First is the over 50 different state and territory quarters introduced since 1999. The next problem is vending machine and laundromat owners. These are the guys who get 1000's of quarters every week and most of them know the sound a silver quarter makes when they dump out the change drawers. That leaves you with handrolls. There are 2 kinds of CWRs,"Slim and None"
If you want to get off halves, my suggestion would be to go for dimes. Ask every bank you can if they have bags of dimes .

Good Luck, Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
J, I searched $900 in cwr's earlier this year, in one shot, and found one silver quarter.
I can pull 5-8 dimes in the same amount searched. Would be interesting tho, to search 4-5 boxes of quarters in one order. ffd

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
fistfulladirt said:
J, I searched $900 in cwr's earlier this year, in one shot, and found one silver quarter.
I can pull 5-8 dimes in the same amount searched. Would be interesting tho, to search 4-5 boxes of quarters in one order. ffd

I'm collectinjg 2009 and 2010 quarters, so I search a box every week. And so far, this year I have 5 silver quarters. Four from tellers and ONE from a box. All YEAR.

But I have a Wisconsin lower leaf error, a Kansas "In God we rust" error, and 2 prrofs.

I have 29 silver dimes. And I search about 1/2 a box a week. If you are looking for silver, dimes are better. But, if you want to get some 2009 quarters, and some 2010 (All of which are MUCH lower mintages than anything since about 1955!) then quarters will still work. BUt don't expect silver from them. the best is halves, then dimes. Quarters are the lowest of the three - by FAR.

OP
OP
Bigj5731

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Ok, I was just wondering if anyone was finding anything.

I am a frequent dime searcher and i love the results. Ive been averaging about 2-3 silver dimes per box. its not a ton, but its better than being skunked.

thanks for some of the input.

-bigJ

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
avg is like 1 quarter per like 4 boxes, you won't find quarter"s". i would just add more dime boxes to your order. have searched like 10 boxes, have found like 2. I search like 200 at work sometimes and will find 1 like every 3 months, they are very scarce.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
I look for any silver coins and last year i found only 1 quarter this year i got lucky a found a teller who had 2 rolls and 5 loose all silver what a day and last week had a teller call me and said he had a quarter for me 1936 they are the hardest coins to find but good luck . happy hunting Ron

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
interesting idea...i have been thinking of picking up some boxes sometime this week...funny u would mention it now of all times...if i do pick up some i will post my results so u will know. hope this helps. keep it up and hh!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
This is not the norm but at the end of a recent road trip I tried to use up the cash on hand and bought 10 cwr's of quarters and low and behold I managed to pull 1 silver quarter.

I have bought $1000 bags on multiple occassions and come up empty handded most of the time.

But some have posted nice catches on this forum in the past. Chances are you won't do well with quarters but you just never know.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions