apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Apush and I settled down by the pool with 3 boxes of halves tonight. Popped the top of a cold one and commenced to begin our evening.

I was 2 boxes short from one of my banks. My fault. I had told the head teller when school started to only order me 2 rather than the traditional boxes 4. She remembered. Since then, we have found a dump bank on Saturdays.

Fair to Middling Results: 3 Boxes
5 Bens (1 was a 1955--my first)***Correction (dang it!) It is a 1953. That is why I should wear my reading glasses. Those darn 5s and 3s look almost alike in some cases. Darn the luck.

36-40%

I also picked up a nickel box (3 war nickels) and a dime box (1-1964 & 1-1945S). Also found 2 dated buffs, 2 non-dated buffs, and one V-Nickel that was in the worst shape possible (1885--last digit almost unreadable).

Starting a part-time job soon. Adjuncting as a professor of history at a local community college on the weekends. Gotta pay for a wedding. 14 years and counting toward retirement!

I hear the Galveston beaches calling me. :icon_sunny:

New: I will be sending that V-Nickel to one of our posters to verify. He is an expert in coins. Hope I got that one right!

Happy Hunting!
Prof Apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
ronbo22 said:
The 1885 is the key to the series could be worth a few hundred depending on condition

If you can hardly read the 5 I would say it is worth about .50 not hundreds. :dontknow: :dontknow:

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL coincrazed. :)

apush

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Hi Ho Silver! said:
ronbo22 said:
The 1885 is the key to the series could be worth a few hundred depending on condition

If you can hardly read the 5 I would say it is worth about .50 not hundreds. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Try again HHS, take a peek on eBay and the cheapest buy it now where the reverse is completely destroyed is $200 +/-.

APUSH GET THAT THING CERTIFIED BY A DEALER

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Just wanted to update the V-nickel find. I received the find in question today and was able to take a closer look. Comparing different serifs that were used for numerals, I'm fairly certain in my determination. It is in very rough shape. I would guess that it was a detector find at one time before being placed in circulation based on the pitting and coloration. Either way, it is a unique find and a unique footnote in our nation's history.

This is a case of wishful thinking. When the features are in question, your eyes will see what your mind wants it to see. It is not an 1885 V-nickel. It is an example of our government's efforts in thwarting unscrupulous citizen's efforts to defraud others. With the new design change, individuals took advantage of the image of Liberty on the nickel instead of the familiar Shield predecessor. With the design change, there was an omission by the designers of the word 'cents' on the reverse. Individuals took advantage of this design by gold-plating the coins and passing them off as $5 gold coins. Mid-way through the year, the government corrected the omission that allowed this fraud to continue. The word 'cents' was added below the wreath on the reverse. What APUSH found was an 1883 with CENTS. In it's condition, it wouldn't be worth more than face value but it is a coin that tells a story. Nice job. Your V-nickel is on it's way home in a Saf-T-Flip.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we all learned from your efforts. Thanks for the close inspection of her coin. I enjoy the history as much as the coins. Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
What is ironic that a similar practice is occurring today. Many people have seen the after-market gold-plated state quarters, a few have found some CRH'ing. Well, these coins have been cashed out at banks. Tellers have not scrutinized the designs and only recognized the color. Seeing the color, they assumed they were given a "golden" dollar (either Presidential or Sacagewea). The recipient ends up with additional change that isn't warranted. This practice was recently reported in the latest issue of Numismatic News. Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down,
Thank you ever so much for inspecting the coin. It is greatly appreciated. I loved the history you provided about the coin/era.

Happy Silver Hunting!

APUSH :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread