ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had so much fun with the last one, I decided to do it again. I hit 9 different towns looking for halves and big dollars.

Town 1 (1 bank): Had no halves, and the teller let it be known that she had several "regular" customers that come around often looking for halves. Its not too far from home, so it was a score of sorts...a new dump bank should I need one in the future.

Town 2 (3 banks): #1 - no halves. #2 - $30 in handrolls & $2.50 loose. All skunks. #3 was a branch in a grocery store. $2.50 in loose halves netted 3 40%ers.

Town 3 (4 banks): #1 - $270 in handrolls and $1 loose gave up 3 40%. #2 - $50 handrolls (skunk). #3 - $21 loose (skunk). #4 - $70 handrolls (skunk)

Town 4 (3 banks): #1 - $110 handrolls (2 40%) $6 loose (1 40%). #2 - $3 loose (skunk) $2 Ikes (clad). #3 - $40 handrolls (9 40%, 7 in one roll - my new record) 1 loose half (clad)

Town 5 (1 bank): no halves

Town 6 (4 banks): #1 - none. #2 - none. #3 - $280 in handrolls (skunk) $11 loose (skunk). #4 - $100 handrolls (skunk)

Town 7 (1 bank): $110 handrolls (3 40%) $3.50 loose (skunk)

Town 8 (7 banks): #1 - none. #2 - none. #3 - none. #4 - $20 handrolls (skunk) $6.50 loose (skunk). #5 - $120 handrolls (1 90%, 2 40%) $9.50 loose (skunk) #6 - $200 handrolls (skunk). #7 - $6 loose (ALL 12 were 40%)

Town 9 (2 banks): Finds unknown. *See below.

I made a few mistakes that won't happen again.

Mistake #1: In bank #3 at Town 6 listed above, I asked for the usual "halves and big dollars." The teller informed me that she had $11 in her drawer and $280 in the back, but they no longer give out coin to non-account holders. A few weeks back a man bought every gold dollar they had, sat down in the lobby, went through all of them, and cashed them right back in. Apparently they didn't like that. ;D I assured her that I was from out of town, they would not get them back, and not even another branch of their bank would get them as we don't even have a branch of that bank where I'm from. She says, "Let me go talk to my boss. I'm tired of counting the darn things. I've worked here 18 months and they've been here since I started." While she's gone, I scan her tray. Its some distance away, at a bad angle, and the sun was glaring through a window, but I spotted a quarter that looked silver but I just can't get THAT good of a look. She returns saying that her boss will be with me in a bit. I thought it was nice of her to "go to bat" for me, so I ask her if she collects silver coins - with the intention of pointing it out to her if she does, and buying it if she doesn't. She tells me her boyfriend does, so I point out the quarter saying, "I think that one may be silver." She picks it up, looks at it and says, "Nope. Its just one of the newer state quarters. A really shiny one though." About that time her boss comes out. We chat a bit and I end up walking out with the halves. Turns out they were all clad anyway. After I got home, for some reason I kept thinking about that quarter. I'm now reasonably sure I walked out of there with $291 in clad halves while leaving a silver proof quarter.

Mistake #2: I didn't take enough money. Last week I took a road trip, covering more miles and hitting more banks than I did on this one. On the previous trip I found less than $700 total and $500 of that was where I got extremely lucky and was allowed to buy a partial bag. I took about $1500 thinking that was more than enough. After scoring $129.50 in halves in Town 8, bank #5, I know my funds are getting low. I count up and have $207 including the 2 clad Ikes I found earlier. There are 2 more banks in this town and 2 more in the last town. Its after 4:00 pm and most of these banks close at 5:00. The next bank has an even $200 in halves. I now have $7 left. I almost head home, but my curiosity won't let me. I hit the last bank in that town with a bad feeling. I almost hope they DON'T have any with $7 whole dollars in my pocket. After asking for halves, the teller says I have $11 worth and picks up one of those little bank envelopes. I hear MULTIPLE "clinks" of silver. I tell her, "I'm a collector only looking for certain dates. Is it ok if I look at them and just buy the ones I need for my collection?" I ABSOLUTELY feel like a scumbag for doing this, but don't see where I have much of a choice here. She agrees and dumps them out. Luckily, there were 12 40%ers and the rest were clad. I scoop up the 40s, hand her $4 in bills and the 2 Ikes and I'm out the door.

Mistake #3: I'm only a few miles from the last town and about 50-60 miles from home. I frantically search every inch of my truck looking for change, dropped bills, whatever. I always just throw my change, including bills, in the console of my truck. Naturally, I had just cleaned it out a few days earlier. I count up and I have exactly $1.40. Still I head to the next town. I am hoping to get lucky and that 1 of the 2 banks will be a branch of a bank where I have an account. if they have halves, I'll just pay for it out of my account and/or get a little extra cash in case the other bank has some halves too. But of course, both are banks in which I do not have an account. I head home a bit disappointed. I just know there were rolls and rolls of Bens & Walkers at one or both of those banks! ;D About 10 miles from home, I realize just how dumb I am. All I had to do was hit an ATM machine. For some reason, that thought NEVER crossed my mind.

I ended up traveling 183 miles hitting 9 (well technically 8 ) towns and 24 banks. I found $1473 in halves and $2 in Ikes, scoring 35 40%ers and 1 '64 Ken.

Not bad, but not great either. Considering gas and wear & tear on my vehicle, I figure I came out a little bit ahead. More importantly though, I really enjoyed the journey. Hopefully, I'll do another trip this week. Surely there is a big score out there somewhere!

Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Road trips are always fun. I enjoy going on one every now and then in hopes I hit some silver.

At least you ended up with some silver and didn't go home empty handed.

keep it up.

-bigJ

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how this was worth your time for $105 (@ todays price) worth of silver. Wear and tear/gas on your car runs about $92 (183miles * .50 milage rate) plus time $37 (Assuming around 5hours * 7.25) means you spent $129 for $105 in silver.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Arkie!,
That was a great post. If you hadn't gone on that trip, you would have never known. I do road trips all the time in my area and sometimes I score big. You just have to stay with it. Either that or just do boxes and that can be a bummer. Good luck on your next trip. I feel a good hit coming your way.
rileyboy

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
I don't see how this was worth your time for $105 (@ todays price) worth of silver. Wear and tear/gas on your car runs about $92 (183miles * .50 milage rate) plus time $37 (Assuming around 5hours * 7.25) means you spent $129 for $105 in silver.

You are correct AG. Considering milage and my time, I came out "in the hole." Unfortunately, this is what I must do to find any silver. I have hit every bank near me on multiple occasions with less than 10 silver coins to show for it. I ordered boxes for awhile and they were horrible as well. So if I am going to find silver, I am more than likely gonna have to hit the road.

The thing is though, I consider this a "hobby", not a job. Right now I am really enjoying this hobby - especially the road trips, even though my finds have been meager at best. I am willing to shell out a little money and a lot of time in support of my hobby. Almost all hobbies, be it golf, fishing, hunting, metal detecting or whatever cost money. This one is no different - unless you're one of the lucky ones that just seem to find silver everywhere. There is always the dream of finding that dream box or bag and/or those solid rolls of silver.

Will my hobby pay for itself or turn a profit? Doubtful. I would imagine (and this is just a random guess on my part) that there are at least 10 people like me that don't break even for every 1 that does. Again, the actual number may be higher or lower. I have no idea and its just a guess. But, I would be willing to bet that if most CRHers sat down and figured up their time spent, mileage, and ALL expenses, it would have been SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to have just went out and bought the silver outright. But where is the fun in that??? ;D I'll be making another trip soon - hopefully one day this week. I know that big score is out there and I am going to find it. Even if I don't, I'm certainly gonna have fun looking! :icon_thumleft:

I know I went off on a bit of a rant here. You were just pointing out that I did not "come out ahead" as I stated in my post, and you are indeed correct. As meager as it is, and after several months now of CRHing, these 36 coins are my best daily score so far. So even if I technically did not come out ahead, I got closer than I normally do. ::)

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
try to make the day of it, go shopping and dinner after banks close, so it wasn't just a coin hunt trip :icon_thumright: but i think you didn't do bad and you had fun, very nice

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Regardless of weather you came out ahead or not you may have hit it big out there that day. Your never gonna find that dream hit if your not out there searching.

Mojo

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
still pretty nice score! also, maybe the quarter wasnt sil proof, but one of those state quarters that just have a silver rim for some reason, that have been popping up all over the nation. also, i agree, if u enjoy it, then do it!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just curious, how do you deal with banks that ask you about having an account? I thought about doing a road trip but I'm always worried about them asking me about it. How long did it take to hit that many banks?

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Just curious, how do you deal with banks that ask you about having an account? I thought about doing a road trip but I'm always worried about them asking me about it. How long did it take to hit that many banks?

So far, I have not had a single bank asking if I had an account when I drop in asking for halves. Most of the banks are tiny to smallish, as this is rural Arkansas. 99% of Arkansas is rural for that matter. I feel that most banks around here are so happy to get rid of the halves that they do not care if I have an account or not.

It took me pretty much all day to do this, and I wasn't searching coins as I went except for the loosies. I left my house around 9:30 am and hit my last bank about 4:30 pm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread