common sense

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
While i was on a search i heard a young child asking for coins with certain dates. I knew what he was up to and took him aside to talk to him and his mother. Asking tellers for certain dates will soon make them aware of whats going on. I always ask for them all and then ask for pennies, nickels or dimes to throw them off.
Whether or not you agree i have met many tellers who were clued in by the way the CRHers asked. Where as we can compete with other CRHers it is almost impossible to compete with tellers.
While explaining things to him b4 i took him aside the teller said he didnt care. I would like to see if he wouldnt care if he found out how much a solid roll is worth.

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right. A lot of tellers are trying to figure out what we are doing. One of my
"buy bank" will go through cwrs now to save any keepers for themselves. Previously they just sell any rolls to me but now they will say that "we took out any goodies just let you know".

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
When I was a kid, I remember searching all the halves right there in front of the teller. One time I even searched a full coffee can full of halves on the tellers desk lol (It was worth it though, I found a Ben + a few other silvers I think). I also managed a Peace dollar on one of my hunts back in the day... I'm guessing I was probably in about 6th grade.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yes, educating tellers is bad.. you also find less silver end up in boxes because of educated tellers. Although, I wonder if I was a teller, what kind of coins and how often I'd find keepers.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I can top this - I hit a town today that has ten banks. Seems some idiot came through earlier this week and bought every half in every bank and then proceeded to bring them right back to the same banks not five minutes later. They were all talking about it. Either a total idiot or someone purposely stinking up an entire town. I go to this town about every six months so not a big deal but this moron totally crapped out this town for a while. I was tempted to buy up every one even after they told me just to clean up the mess. I did it at a few of them but this guy was searching $300 at a time then dumping the same $300 back in the same bank. Since I almost never hit this town I finally just hit the road but this moron gives coin roll hunters a bad name. The guy obviously doesn't realize how quickly this can lead to uncooperative tellers >:( and then he probably won't understand why the tellers won't take the time to get all the coins out of the vault for him...and me!

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread