Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/index.php

These folks are just as nuts about checking straps of bills as we are about boxes and rolls! :) Some intersesting reading.

And on a side note...been working a box of pennies...nearly had a heart attack as I pulled out a 1909 wheatie...no S or VDB though so Im still alive. And got 2 more 40% halves, 68 and 69.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belong to Where's George but I don't visit the forums. It's easy to get forum-ed out and I want to keep my sanity!

WTG on the 1909! It's definitely a startler for a brief moment.

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
pennys are relaxing, i do a box in less then and hr.. almost like meditating..finding between 30-40 wheats per box here in MI..always get looks at the bank or anywhere else tho.. i just let them know im filling the kids banks..

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strykerstalker said:
pennys are relaxing, i do a box in less then and hr.. almost like meditating..finding between 30-40 wheats per box here in MI..always get looks at the bank or anywhere else tho.. i just let them know im filling the kids banks..

Wow, that's quite a few wheats to get per box! I usually get 10-20. I just tell them that I search for good coins and then everytime I come in after that they usually start getting coin ready as soon as I step out of my car ;)

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
LOL well atleast yours is being nice.. mine is telling me to knock it off, stop the coin already.. <G> i have to admit im wondering how far is too far? i mean i had to get an account there to get coins for change on my money, and even that seemed rediculas.. but could be my reason for having to have 5 bank accounts just to try and keep them from lynching me .. wonder what the big deal is, i mean really do they all treat members like that? i mean after all im depositing atleast half into my account when i change it in, whats to be upset about?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strykerstalker said:
LOL well atleast yours is being nice.. mine is telling me to knock it off, stop the coin already.. <G> i have to admit im wondering how far is too far? i mean i had to get an account there to get coins for change on my money, and even that seemed rediculas.. but could be my reason for having to have 5 bank accounts just to try and keep them from lynching me .. wonder what the big deal is, i mean really do they all treat members like that? i mean after all im depositing atleast half into my account when i change it in, whats to be upset about?

They hate us because dealing with coin creates work for them, and heaven forbid they have to do any work while at work, haha.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually they hate us because they have to pay to ship the coins to the bank and to ship the cions back to the federal reserve after we bring it back and they eat the cost.

At most branches of the bank I usually cash in my coins at, they have the customer run coin counting machines, so the only work for them is when the bin in the machine gets filled, which is not often. The tellers only have to get the receipt and hand me the cash. I like most of the machines cause they are usually much quicker. There is one branch in which the coin counting machine rejects about 20% of the half dollars, though. When cashing in half dollars can be really annoying, since it makes the machine stop every couple of seconds. Just have to avoid that branch for cashing in halves.

I have only had one branch of one bank essentially refuse to sell me coins anymore, and that is due to a teller telling me he'd have a box ready whenever I wanted. So after coming back a few times within a couple of weeks, the bank manager approached me and told me I couldn't do it so often or they'd have to start charging me. I asked how often was okay, she said once a month. Every time I have stopped back at that bank since, they tell me they don't have enough coins on hand to sell me a box. Oh well, they still take the loose ones back. :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
Actually they hate us because they have to pay to ship the coins to the bank and to ship the cions back to the federal reserve after we bring it back and they eat the cost.

At most branches of the bank I usually cash in my coins at, they have the customer run coin counting machines, so the only work for them is when the bin in the machine gets filled, which is not often. The tellers only have to get the receipt and hand me the cash. I like most of the machines cause they are usually much quicker. There is one branch in which the coin counting machine rejects about 20% of the half dollars, though. When cashing in half dollars can be really annoying, since it makes the machine stop every couple of seconds. Just have to avoid that branch for cashing in halves.

I have only had one branch of one bank essentially refuse to sell me coins anymore, and that is due to a teller telling me he'd have a box ready whenever I wanted. So after coming back a few times within a couple of weeks, the bank manager approached me and told me I couldn't do it so often or they'd have to start charging me. I asked how often was okay, she said once a month. Every time I have stopped back at that bank since, they tell me they don't have enough coins on hand to sell me a box. Oh well, they still take the loose ones back. :)

I would start dumping all of my coins off at that back that won't give you anymore then. If they don't have enough in stock to satisfy the needs of their customers then you should help supply them! ;)

Michael Karr

Dec 2, 2006
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY BANKS CRY ABOUT PEOPLE RETURNING COINS,HECK THERE A BANK WHAT THE HECK ARE THE THINKING IF IT WASN'T US THE PEOPLE THEY WOULD'NT BE IN BUSINESS,,MIKE ???

Z

ztzzt

I guess I need to find a new bank. I bought a box of halves and a box of pennies after finding this forum. Got "0" silver in the halves and two wheat pennies out of 2500. A bit disappointed but I am going to try again for grins.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
One box? Heck, I have gone through several in a row without finding anything. That did not stop me though.

The only reason a person cannot find silver in boxes of halves is that they just do not buy any boxes lol.

Don't give up.....keep trying.

It is like people I know who say they tried to learn how to play guitar, but gave up after a couple of months because they did not think they were any good. Well duh....who can expect to learn to play the guitar proficiently in a couple of months, eh? I played for 5 years before I thought I was decent. I have now been playing seriously for over 30 years.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions