Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Feb 2006
    DE
    296
    7 times

    Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    http://forums.wheresgeorge.com/index.php

    These folks are just as nuts about checking straps of bills as we are about boxes and rolls! Some intersesting reading.


    And on a side note...been working a box of pennies...nearly had a heart attack as I pulled out a 1909 wheatie...no S or VDB though so Im still alive. And got 2 more 40% halves, 68 and 69.

  2. #2
    us
    Mar 2005
    Vegas
    2,801
    440 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    I belong to Where's George but I don't visit the forums. It's easy to get forum-ed out and I want to keep my sanity!

    WTG on the 1909! It's definitely a startler for a brief moment.
    MOVE THE COINSTAR FINDS THREAD TO THE COIN ROLL HUNTING FORUM!

  3. #3

    Nov 2005
    74
    1 times

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    pennys are relaxing, i do a box in less then and hr.. almost like meditating..finding between 30-40 wheats per box here in MI..always get looks at the bank or anywhere else tho.. i just let them know im filling the kids banks..

  4. #4
    us
    Supreme Chancellor

    Oct 2005
    High Five!
    2,966
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by strykerstalker
    pennys are relaxing, i do a box in less then and hr.. almost like meditating..finding between 30-40 wheats per box here in MI..always get looks at the bank or anywhere else tho.. i just let them know im filling the kids banks..
    Wow, that's quite a few wheats to get per box! I usually get 10-20. I just tell them that I search for good coins and then everytime I come in after that they usually start getting coin ready as soon as I step out of my car

  5. #5

    Nov 2005
    74
    1 times

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    LOL well atleast yours is being nice.. mine is telling me to knock it off, stop the coin already.. <G> i have to admit im wondering how far is too far? i mean i had to get an account there to get coins for change on my money, and even that seemed rediculas.. but could be my reason for having to have 5 bank accounts just to try and keep them from lynching me .. wonder what the big deal is, i mean really do they all treat members like that? i mean after all im depositing atleast half into my account when i change it in, whats to be upset about?

  6. #6
    us
    Supreme Chancellor

    Oct 2005
    High Five!
    2,966
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by strykerstalker
    LOL well atleast yours is being nice.. mine is telling me to knock it off, stop the coin already.. <G> i have to admit im wondering how far is too far? i mean i had to get an account there to get coins for change on my money, and even that seemed rediculas.. but could be my reason for having to have 5 bank accounts just to try and keep them from lynching me .. wonder what the big deal is, i mean really do they all treat members like that? i mean after all im depositing atleast half into my account when i change it in, whats to be upset about?
    They hate us because dealing with coin creates work for them, and heaven forbid they have to do any work while at work, haha.

  7. #7

    Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    2,503
    192 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    Actually they hate us because they have to pay to ship the coins to the bank and to ship the cions back to the federal reserve after we bring it back and they eat the cost.

    At most branches of the bank I usually cash in my coins at, they have the customer run coin counting machines, so the only work for them is when the bin in the machine gets filled, which is not often. The tellers only have to get the receipt and hand me the cash. I like most of the machines cause they are usually much quicker. There is one branch in which the coin counting machine rejects about 20% of the half dollars, though. When cashing in half dollars can be really annoying, since it makes the machine stop every couple of seconds. Just have to avoid that branch for cashing in halves.

    I have only had one branch of one bank essentially refuse to sell me coins anymore, and that is due to a teller telling me he'd have a box ready whenever I wanted. So after coming back a few times within a couple of weeks, the bank manager approached me and told me I couldn't do it so often or they'd have to start charging me. I asked how often was okay, she said once a month. Every time I have stopped back at that bank since, they tell me they don't have enough coins on hand to sell me a box. Oh well, they still take the loose ones back.

  8. #8
    us
    Supreme Chancellor

    Oct 2005
    High Five!
    2,966
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001
    Actually they hate us because they have to pay to ship the coins to the bank and to ship the cions back to the federal reserve after we bring it back and they eat the cost.

    At most branches of the bank I usually cash in my coins at, they have the customer run coin counting machines, so the only work for them is when the bin in the machine gets filled, which is not often. The tellers only have to get the receipt and hand me the cash. I like most of the machines cause they are usually much quicker. There is one branch in which the coin counting machine rejects about 20% of the half dollars, though. When cashing in half dollars can be really annoying, since it makes the machine stop every couple of seconds. Just have to avoid that branch for cashing in halves.

    I have only had one branch of one bank essentially refuse to sell me coins anymore, and that is due to a teller telling me he'd have a box ready whenever I wanted. So after coming back a few times within a couple of weeks, the bank manager approached me and told me I couldn't do it so often or they'd have to start charging me. I asked how often was okay, she said once a month. Every time I have stopped back at that bank since, they tell me they don't have enough coins on hand to sell me a box. Oh well, they still take the loose ones back.
    I would start dumping all of my coins off at that back that won't give you anymore then. If they don't have enough in stock to satisfy the needs of their customers then you should help supply them!

  9. #9

    Dec 2006
    259
    4 times

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY BANKS CRY ABOUT PEOPLE RETURNING COINS,HECK THERE A BANK WHAT THE HECK ARE THE THINKING IF IT WASN'T US THE PEOPLE THEY WOULD'NT BE IN BUSINESS,,MIKE

  10. #10
    ztzzt

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    I guess I need to find a new bank. I bought a box of halves and a box of pennies after finding this forum. Got "0" silver in the halves and two wheat pennies out of 2500. A bit disappointed but I am going to try again for grins.

  11. #11

    Aug 2005
    1,331
    81 times

    Re: Coin Roll Hunters....meet....the Bill Strap Hunters

    One box? Heck, I have gone through several in a row without finding anything. That did not stop me though.

    The only reason a person cannot find silver in boxes of halves is that they just do not buy any boxes lol.

    Don't give up.....keep trying.

    It is like people I know who say they tried to learn how to play guitar, but gave up after a couple of months because they did not think they were any good. Well duh....who can expect to learn to play the guitar proficiently in a couple of months, eh? I played for 5 years before I thought I was decent. I have now been playing seriously for over 30 years.

    Best of luck and happy hunting!
    "It's the stuff that dreams are made of....."

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0