Another dime box today

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I decided to get another dime box today.. got a 1957-D & that's it. I found out that the box shorted me about $2.00 where rolls were missing a few here and there which added up :( Thus I took a loss on the box and it's the second time this year where the box was missing that many dimes. Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like rolls are more likely to be missing dimes than have extra ones.

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
ouch. I was shorted a dime yesterday. was shorted 20 bucks in halves... but i once had 2 rolls on my floor and am thinking i put them in wrong box... but i still have not come across a box with 20 more... have been short like 1-3 halves numerous times. last week got shorted 3 halves. best part was 2 weeks ago i counted several rolls with 10.50 in them, and some had 9.50 but still felt there were more rolls with 1 more. but yet coin counter didn't think so... box was even.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm not as concerned about halves being shorted because if you got 1 90%er, that makes up for the shorted amount. However, it sucks when dimes are shorted that much because they are not as valuable as halves and I end up with a loss on the box of $2 bucks or more. I just do dimes when I'm running checks or dumping halves as a little bonus. It's not really that great long term compared to halves. I was inspired after getting a Barber dime earlier this week that I picked up this box.

Anyhow, d2arcing any luck dumping your halves? Were you able to find a different dump bank?

gtfan76

Jun 24, 2010
one time i got a roll with 4 missing. I always check so i got my 4 dimes back. but later when i opened the roll it alson had a few pennies. I guess sometimes it happens. Anyway good job on the silver. Atleast its not a skunk

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have time to re-roll, let alone count. I just dump $500 worth in a bag and run thru the counter. It's usually close with an average of 3-4 counted as cents. Not counting the 30-40 Canadians that get spit out as rejects, I just roll those and spend on gas, etc.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
CHAINCHOMP said:
dang that sucks...maybe ur next box will have extras! keep it up and hh!

No.. not usually.. I'm usually missing dimes in boxes. My box that I got yesterday had a 1947-S & 1963-D with Bristish Five Pence but again I was short 7 dimes. I just find it odd that more often than not, I got shorted inside the dime boxes. I'm guessing that most people don't weigh the rolls like I do to see if it was missing any. I'm a honest guy and I want to make sure what dumps I give back are accurate but at a cost to me. I wonder if it's a way for Brinks or employees at the sorting facilities to make money. Half boxes are much better, most boxes are accurate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread