SW Oakland County, MI
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am assuming a nickel costs more to make as well. The metal value in our nickel is at about 4.75 cents right now, so if it costs the same to produce a nickel as it does a penny then that puts our nickel up over 5 cents.....

Could we ever see the removal of the penny from our monetary system if this trend continues?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if plastic or ceramic was already in the works.....LOL!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum has been brought up as a possible replacement, but I'd rather see the penny end production in 2009 on the 100th anni of the Lincoln cent and the 200th anni of Lincoln's birthday. Australia already did it in 1992. Most surveys show that the penny is still very popular, though I think America's fondness for the cent is more sentimental than practical.

Z

ZumbroKid

They should go back to 2 and 3 cent pieces. These would save production costs and generate money for the mints with the new collector series.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Guess the Next change will be Steel Cents.

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey
won't the steel cents get stuck in the coin coun ting machines. whenever I go to turn in halves I take all the euro coins. They all get caught up in the magnets. I guess that the steel pennies would too. What would be their solution?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread