timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank that sold me the dime bag yesterday said they have 2 bags of quarters, $1000 a piece. I had some luck with the dime bag, as I posted in a recent thread.
I hear quarters are very hard to score with. I thought about buying both bags, or maybe just one and see how that bag goes. I'm just wondering if it is worth my time and effort?? I'd imagine I can roll through a bag of quarters in half the time it takes to do a bag of dimes, which takes me 2-3 hours. I do need to start filling my quarter collection though, it has the least silver content out of my collection. I just haven't tried yet, but I think I might tomorrow.
What do u think guys?? Should I?? Or should I pass and try to get some half rolls??

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
I've gone through about $2.5k in quarter boxes and only found 2 silvers. I'd skip 'em.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had luck with bags, I got 3 silver out of 4 bags. You're right, they are easy to sort and can yield some silver. I do them just for the thrill of finding something different

HH
-GC

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've gone through 4 Bags of quarters. One of which was a skunk, one with 1 keeper,one with 2 keepers,and one with 9 keepers.
I'd go for it.
HH
Rich

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
"No.. F#ck No" Lol .. it's just not worth it to look at quarters with very little yield.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I have done Quarters because I'd buy whatever is being offerd to me and it don't take long to run them through the coin counter at my dump bank. I just take the 1k bag from my buy bank and dump em into my canvas sack and go directly to my dump bank and eyeball em as I run them through their machine, wich rejects foriegn and silver. But never had much luck with Quarters out of say 30 bags that I have done in the last 2 years the best yeild I ever got was 6 silvers. Average is 1 out of every 3 bags.
With me being in Michigan like you most of the bags I get have several Canadians in em as much as $10 face several times.

But you just never know when someone dumps silver. Go for it.

Mojo

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I prefer halves as well but bags are so easy to go through and then dump (if you have a coin machine dump bank) that I think it is worth it to take any bagged coin you can.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
take em.....what have you got to lose except a little time? if just one person dumped a collection in there you could be looking at a significant find.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
They produce much less often than dimes or halves, but if you have the time and the cash I would get them. Just like with any other denomination you never know when someone is going to dump the coins they inherited or stole and create a dream bag.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
If you can afford it why not? Maybe do an album or 2 will you are searching, and like has been said, all it would take is for the right dumper to hit and you may get lots of silver! HH.

Chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions